- Academic Affairs
- Accountability and Compliance
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Community Engagement
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Philanthropy
- Operations and Planning
- UMB Police Department
- President's Office
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
Clinical Trial: Use for any clinical study, including investigator-initiated studies, observational studies, retrospective studies, and so forth.
Fellowship: Use for proposals for support of individual pre-doctoral or post-doctoral fellowships, including NIH Kirschstein-NRSA individual fellowships (F31 and F32).
IPA: Use for Interagency Personnel Assignment Agreements and Joint Personnel Assignment Agreements (JPAs), for reimbursement of salary and fringe benefits from the VA and other Federal agencies and from the Baltimore Research and Education Foundation (BREF).
Other Sponsored Activities: Use for sponsored activities not described in the other choices. Includes health services projects, demonstration grants, travel grants, support for conferences, seminars or workshops, support for educating or training individuals or groups other than UMB trainees, support for providing legal or advocacy services, and support for projects pertaining to library collections, acquisitions, bibliographies or cataloging.
Research: Select the type that best fits the work. If the work does not clearly fit under "Applied" or "Development", use Research-Basic. Basic vs Applied Research resource
- Research-Applied: Research assessing and using some part of accumulated theories, knowledge, methods, and techniques for a specific driven purpose. Examples: SBIR, STTR, MIPS, and TEDCO projects.
- Research-Basic: Inquiry, experiment, or investigation to increase the scholarly understanding of the involved discipline. Includes career development awards.
- Research-Development: Systematic application of knowledge or understanding, directed toward the production of useful materials, devices, and systems or methods including design, development, and improvement of prototype and new processes to meet specific requirements.
Services: Use for Professional Service Agreements and other Service Agreements.
Training: Teaching and training activities. Includes curriculum development, institutional training grants, development of instructional materials such as reference books or software, and instruction. Should not be used for proposals solely in support of stipends for pre- or post-doctoral fellows.