- Academic Affairs
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Community Engagement
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Philanthropy
- Operations and Planning
- Police and Public Safety
- President's Office
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
User Resources and Help
Resources to help Kuali Coeus users at UMB
Information for users, organized by category.
- Across-the-Board: Searching, proposal locks, other general tips and information
- Proposal details: Proposal details tab including performance sites and other organizations
- Budgets: Budget instructions and important advice
- Attachments: Forms and instructions
- Certify or Approve: PI certification and approval; brief tutorial for approvers
- Validation-Errors-Warnings: How to check for proposal errors; tips on error messages
Latest Advice and Hints
Please contact your SPA team with questions and concerns.
- BUG: Internal attachment and K-series proposal. Do not attach any internal attachment on the Attachments tab for a K-series proposal. This is a known bug. Omit/remove any "Internal Attachment" on the Attachments tab.
- Subrecipient Budget form error, "Subaward Budget has not been uploaded in the Budget Actions tab." when form has been uploaded: This error is generated when the wrong Subrecipient Budget form is used. The Proposal S2S tab, Forms sub-panel identifies the name of the required form (e.g. RR_SubawardBudget10_30_1_3). When the subaward budget is uploaded, the Form Name is autopopulated (Budget Actions tab, Subaward Budget sub-panel, Form Name column). The Form Name should essentially match the name of the required form (e.g. RR_Budget10_1_3).
- BUG: User-attached form "PHS Assignment Request" does not always print to screen from KC. When uploaded, this form is properly submitted with the proposal. This bug does not cause an error in Grants.gov or eCommons. The bug is related to the "style sheets" that direct KC to print the form to your screen. The form does print from the S2S tab, User-Attached Forms sub-panel (where you upload the form). The form does not print from the the Forms sub-panel on the S2S tab, nor does it print from the Print sub-panel on the Proposal Summary tab: a file is downloaded but cannot be opened.
- Non-UMB persons: Non-UMB persons are those who are not on UMB's payroll, such as new incoming faculty or UMMC residents. To add a non-UMB person in the Personnel section of the budget and/or as a Principal Investigator, your department needs to add this person as an Affiliate in the Community System, and the Community System record must include a request for Coeus access. The screen to request Coeus Access is under the tab located at the top of the Community screen labeled “App ID Request”. After the Affiliate request has been fully approved through the system with the request for Coeus Access, Kuali Coeus is updated the next day.
- BUG: KC randomly selects a person from the budget and puts their salary in the Travel category. The travel amount cannot be fixed or deleted. Current work around: Make a new budget (not a copy)
- Internet Explorer 10 (IE10): Do not use this version of IE. There have been many issues including "missing data". IE9 and IE11 can be used.
- Grants.gov Error - /grantApplication/Forms/activity Title is not valid: If the funding opportunity title is longer than 120 characters, you will see this error on validation. Please email DL-CITS COEUS Report A Problem if this error occurs as it is something that needs to be fixed "behind the scenes".
- 9-digit zip codes: The NIH validates for 9-digit zip codes for U.S. addresses for Key Persons, Performance Sites, and Subrecipients. Please provide a 9-digit zip code for U.S. addresses in all Address requests. Look up the zip code at usps.com
- Protocol number (Special Review tab): Do not use spaces or special characters in the Protocol Number. Dashes - are OK.
- Logging out: Are you using the IE browser? If you are, you will need to manually remove the cookies from your browser before someone else can log into Kuali Coeus using your machine. If you are using FireFox or Chrome, you will need to Quit (close) the browser completely, then re-open it before someone else can log in using your machine.
- Attachment names must not contain any spaces or special characters. Example: UniversityOfMaryland2014.pdf
- Descriptions: Many fields have character limits such as the Description field for a budget line item, the Budget Version name, even department/division names. Please limit your data entry in fields of this type to 30 characters or fewer. We will continue to keep track of findings and add related tips and advice.
Help with Kuali Coeus software questions: In addition to the resources in this section, look for the in-application help icon within your Kuali Coeus proposal. This icon links to an online manual that, though not UMB-specific, provides context-sensitive detail about the software. If you still need assistance, please contact your department administrator or your SPA team.
Assistance with Proposal Development: If you have a proposal question that is not directly related to Kuali Coeus such as Sponsor application guidelines or preparing a proposal budget, go to the SPA website, or contact your department administrator or your SPA team.
Technical Help: Contact DL-CITS COEUS Report A Problem and identify the Proposal number (preferred) or document number when reporting a technical issue.
The ASC Help Desk is also available to address technical, password, portal, and system access issues. Phone: 410-706-HELP