- Academic Affairs
- Accountability and Compliance
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Community Engagement
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Philanthropy
- Operations and Planning
- UMB Police Department
- President's Office
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
Unfunded agreements are agreements that address specific needs related to sponsored projects, but are not a funding instrument. Examples are nondisclosure agreements, equipment loan agreements, teaming agreements, and data use agreements. Unfunded agreements that will be reviewed by Sponsored Programs Administration (SPA) must be entered in and routed through Kuali Research prior to SPA review.
Guidance for routing and approvals of unfunded agreements - learn which agreements are reviewed by SPA.
Instructions and Form for Routing Unfunded Agreements
Follow this procedure for confidentiality (non-disclosure) agreements (NDAs), data sharing or data use agreements (DUAs), teaming agreements, equipment loan agreements, and other unfunded agreements that will be reviewed and signed by SPA. The Unfunded Agreement Request must be completed and uploaded in the Attachments section of the unfunded agreement proposal.
Special instructions for multiple sites: If a project involves multiple sites, and all of them will use the same UMB agreement template, you may include all sites under the same Kuali Research proposal. Select one site as the "sponsor" for routing purposes and list all as Performance sites. Upload an Unfunded Agreement Request for each site. For a project that involves multiple sites but not all sites are using the same UMB agreement template, each site must be routed individually in separate Kuali Research proposals.
Create a proposal in Kuali Research:
Proposal Type: Select New, Renewal, or Revision
Lead Unit: Select unit of academic appointment for the UMB Principal Investigator (PI)
Activity Type: Select Other Sponsored Program
Project Dates: Enter the anticipated start and end dates of the agreement. Use your best estimate.
Project Title: Enter a descriptive title to allow SPA to identify the agreement and project. This may be the title of the project from which data was collected or a reference to a funding opportunity or award. Examples: (1) NIH Grant CA012345; (2) Depleted Uranium Program
Sponsor: Enter the organization that is the other party to the agreement
- NOTE: If there are more than two parties to the agreement, i.e., UMB and more than one external organization, enter one of the organizations here as the Sponsor and enter the others on the Organization and Locations section of the proposal as a Performance Site Location.
- If the other organization does not appear in the Sponsor look-up, submit an Address Request for a New Sponsor.
Prime Sponsor: Leave blank
Sponsor & Program Information
- Enter date 10 days out from when you anticipate submitting the proposal for routing
- OR, if the Sponsor (other party to the agreement) requests the agreement be completed earlier, enter date requested by Sponsor.
Anticipated Award Type: Select the description that best fits the agreement you are routing
Organizations & Locations
Performance Site Locations tab:
- For UMB, use Address Book ID 7934
- For the other organization(s) (the organization listed as Sponsor and any other organizations that will sign this agreement), add the appropriate entry from the Address Book look-up. If there is no matching result from your search, submit an Address Request for a Performance Site.
- HINT: Search using a collaborator's last name (if known), or enter a portion of the organization name in the Organization field (using asterisks for the wild card search). Example: *Nairobi*
- Add the UMB PI as PI/Contact
- Add any other UMB personnel that may be involved with this unfunded agreement. Select the role Key Person and in the field that appears, enter a role description.
- If known, add the principal investigator(s) from the other organization(s). Select the role Key Person and in the field that appears, enter a role description. If the person does not appear in the Non Employee look-up search results, submit an Address Request for a new non-UMB person.
When applicable, add compliance entries.
- If documents have been received from the other party, attach the proposed agreement or any other related documents.
- Attach a document containing the scope of work and/or purpose of the agreement.
- For DUAs, in addition to the scope of work and/or purpose, attach a list of the data to be transferred, if available, including what (if any) identifiers will be shared.
- Upload the completed Unfunded Agreement Request. NOTE: Your unfunded agreement will not be reviewed unless and until this completed form is received by SPA.
Complete the questionnaire(s). The questionnaire responses may pertain to the unfunded agreement and/or the related project (if any).
Add access for the UMB PI.
Add access for SPA Team members: Stephen Peterson, Stacey Boyd, Emmanuel (Azeez) Shodeinde
Add your financial department
Validate and Certify
- Have the PI certify the proposal.
- In the top menu bar, select Data Validation. In the pop-up window, Turn On validation. Ignore the Budget Warning: "Proposal 12345 does not have a budget." Correct any other errors or warnings.
- Check the section Basics: Sponsor & Program Information. Is the Sponsor Deadline still 10 days out from the date of routing? Update as needed.
- Submit for Review. A Budget Warning will appear. Click the blue button, "Submit with Warnings".
- The proposal will route for approvals in the usual manner.