- Academic Affairs
- Accountability and Compliance
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Community Engagement
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Philanthropy
- Operations and Planning
- UMB Police Department
- President's Office
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
Routing and Signatures
Approval routing is required for all projects funded by an external sponsor.
Principal Investigator (PI) Certification. The PI, by certifying the proposal in Kuali Research, promises to perform the project and to follow the relevant compliance, reporting, and other award requirements for that sponsor. Certification in Kuali Research documents the written assurances required of the PI by federal agencies and other sponsors, and meets standards for a dated electronic signature.
Approvals. Internal approvals for proposal submission and award acceptance are obtained via Kuali Research. Office of Research and Development institutional officials are authorized to commit the University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) and its resources to the project, and to accept an award or agreement on behalf of UMB.
Internal (intramural) grant proposals are not entered in Kuali Research. Use the internal routing form to route these proposals if Sponsored Projects Accounting and Compliance (SPAC) will need to set up a Project and submit financial reports.
Internal routing deadlines are summarized as follows:
- The completed, certified Kuali Research proposal is submitted into routing for approvals.
- All proposals will be submitted to the appropriate Dean’s Office at least seven (7) business days prior to the sponsor deadline for review and approval.
- The Dean’s Office will forward the proposal to the Sponsored Programs Administration (SPA) office at least five (5) days prior to the sponsor deadline for review, validation and approval.
- Proposals that reach SPA in FINAL form at least five (5) business days prior to the sponsor deadline will be submitted by SPA at least three (3) days prior to sponsor deadline to allow sufficient time for sponsor review/validation and (if necessary) submission of a change/corrected proposal.
For more information review the proposals section of SPA Business Practices.
Enter the proposal details in Kuali Research.
Develop the budget using Kuali Research, or, if a detailed budget is not required by the sponsor, you may develop the budget outside of Kuali Research and enter "high level" values.
Upload attachments (such as biosketches, narratives, budget justification, internal documents) into Kuali Research.
Use the proposal checklists linked on the Forms page to help organize your proposal.
Notify the PI(s) to certify. The PI is ultimately responsible for proposal content and should always review the proposal (attachments, questionnaires, special review) before certifying to ensure that it is complete and accurate for submission to the sponsor.
Use the Kuali Research Validation tool before submitting the proposal into routing. For S2S (Grants.gov) proposals, go to the Basics > S2S Opportunity Search > Forms tab, and print each form to identify any errors. Work with your SPA team to resolve validation errors.