- Academic Affairs
- Accountability and Compliance
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Community Engagement
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Philanthropy
- Operations and Planning
- UMB Police Department
- President's Office
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
Do you have workplace issues that have been difficult to resolve? Sometimes we need help with difficult situations at work. UMB offers mediation to all employees (faculty, staff, and student employees) to address workplace issues.
Mediation is a voluntary and private process that is used to address conflicts. It is a conversation that is assisted by trained and experienced mediators. UMB, like other universities across the country, added mediation as a conflict management option to better serve employees who want more control over how their workplace issues are resolved.
Mediation can be helpful for a variety of workplace situations. This includes communication problems, personality or work style clashes, disputes or tensions between coworkers or supervisors and subordinates, and many other workplace conflicts.
Employees often like mediation because it allows them to find solutions that will work for them. Most people who use mediation:
- Gain a greater understanding of the situation and others involved
- Reach some type of agreement
- Are satisfied with the mediation process
Mediation is available by referral from one of the UMB referring offices. Contact one of the UMB referring offices and mention you are interested in mediation:
- UMB Office of the Ombuds (410-706-8534)
- UMB Human Resource Services (410-706-2606)
- UMB Office of Accountability and Compliance (Title IX) (410-706-2281)
- General mediation questions? Contact Aisha Samples (410-706-4270)
Want to know more about how Mediation is beneficial? Check out our Frequently Asked Question's page.
The following documents provide further detail on the Workplace Mediation Service.