SNAP Resources

Guidance shared from the Office of University Student Financial Assistance & Student Employment:


* The Consolidated Appropriations Act 2021 temporarily expands SNAP eligibility to include students enrolled at least half-time in an institution of higher education, who either: 

  1. Are eligible to participate in state or federally financed work study during the regular school year, as determined by the institution of higher education, or
  2. Have an expected family contribution (EFC) of $0 in the current academic year.

We have made it simple for students to view if they have been offered federal work-study on their award notices and financial aid information. Please log into SURFS to view if you have been offered federal work-study for the 2021-2022 academic year. If you were not awarded this award as part of your initial financial award, please email for additional information on seeking federal work-study eligibility information. Please note, if you are currently awarded up to your cost of attendance for 2021-2022, this would impact being awarded federal work-study. Counseling would be required to continue the review for eligibility and a reduction of your current award. 

For access to your EFC information, you may review your 2021-2022 Student Aid Report (SAR) or log into to review previously submitted FAFSA information. 

If questions arise regarding the expansion of SNAP eligibility pertaining to financial aid, EFC or federal work-study related information, please email and in the subject line, please reference "SNAP- COVID -19 Provision Inquiry."

Please note: *Per the USDA: Under SNAP regular rules, only students who actually participate in state or federally funded work study are eligible. The new, temporary exemption expands SNAP eligibility to students who are eligible to participate in federal work study during the regular school year, without the requirement that they actually participate. *

** Additional guidance will be updated, as the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Services (USDA) SNAP COVID-19 guidance is shared. You may also find the most current FAQs, concerning the student provisions related to SNAP expansion.


You may view the Food Access Initiatives and Resources webpage with the Office of Intercultural Leadership and Engagement for detailed information pertaining to COVID-19 Provisional Guidance and the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). As well as to obtain information related to food security and campus engagement resources.


Residency Resources:

You may visit the SNAP State Directory of Resources, to apply for benefits, or get information about SNAP. You will need to contact your local SNAP office by selecting your state their website’s map to obtain contact information. Please note, each state has its own application form. 

 To verify residency, a student will be required to provide documentation. The following documents are examples of what could be used to verify residency:

  • In-state license
  • Utility bill
  • Rental agreement
  • Letter from housing services at the institution of higher education
  • Letter from a resident assistant (RA) in a dormitory
  • Letter from a landlord of a rental property