Applying for Financial Aid

The who, what, when, where, and how of applying for financial aid:


Any student, who is a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen, is eligible to receive federal financial aid! For more information about determining eligibility, please see:


The University requires that students file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year they wish to be considered for financial aid. Students who complete the FAFSA, will be reviewed for eligibility, and will be considered for the following types of aid: 

  • Federal student loans
  • Institutional grants/scholarships
  • Federal Work Study


The 2024-2025 FAFSA is now available! UMB has a priority filing date of March 1 and students should complete their application by this date to be considered for institutional grant funds. Students may submit the FAFSA after the priority award date; however, due to limited resources, funds from certain programs may not be available.

The Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC) has extended their FAFSA deadline for Maryland residents to be considered for state awards to June 1, 2024. However, students are encouraged to submit the FAFSA by the priority deadline of March 1, 2024 to receive notification of eligibility by April 15, 2024.​


The fastest way to file a FAFSA is online through Students who have never filed a FAFSA or who have filed but do not remember their Federal Student Aid ID (FSA ID) should first register/reapply for an FSA ID. Students who wish to file a paper FAFSA may call Federal Student Aid Information at 1-800-4-FED-AID and request an application be mailed.


To file the 2024-2025 FAFSA, you will need your FSA ID and password. Dependent students will need their parent's full name, date of birth, Social Security Number (SSN), and valid email address to invite them as a contributor to the FAFSA. Independent students who are married and filed their taxes separately will need the same information for their spouse to invite as a contributor. Additional documents or information that may be needed are:

  • Tax returns
  • Records of child support received
  • Current balances of cash, savings, and checking accounts
  • Net worth of investments, businesses, and farms.