Work Study

Federal Work-Study Employment, through federal government funding, provides eligible students the opportunity to work on or off campus and earn funds as an alternative to loan debt. 



Resources For Students and Supervisors

Instructions on How to Electronically Write and Sign on Required Documents

Resource for Students Interested in Federal Work-Study

Holiday Schedule 2024  *Student Employees may disregard dates observed as floater holidays*


Holiday and University Closures/ Delayed Openings:

As a reminder, when the University is closed student employees are not authorized to work. Student employees should not work nor report hours worked on days the institution is closed due to a holiday or closed due to a confirmed snow day (unless stated otherwise). 

Federal Work-Study Request Form

For work-study consideration for the 2024-2025 academic year, please complete a Federal Work-Study Request Form. An FWS Request Form must be completed in order to be reviewed for eligibility of FWS funds. Please email with any further inquiries.

Employment Documents and Forms

For Students

Please note, Federal Work-Study students can only hold one FWS position. Students may also hold a non-work study position concurrently.

Students should complete employment documents once they have been awarded FWS for the current academic year and have been hired by an approved FWS job site listed on our website.


**All documents listed under step one, including original I-9 identity documents, and step two must be submitted in person to our office. Please email to schedule an appointment to turn in the documents.**


New Hire Employees:

Step One: Please complete section 1 of the I-9.

(employer code 14654) please save I-9 confirmation page as a PDF

Please review the following New Hire Resource prior to moving on to Step Two. 

Step Two

Required Forms:

Step Three: Payroll Documents 

Please do not mail payroll documents until after submitting step one and step two documents to the Office of Student Employment in person and receiving a start date email. 

Please do not print and submit to the Office of Student Employment. 

You are responsible for mailing in payroll related forms to the address at the bottom of each form once you receive confirmation of your effective start date from the Office of Student Employment.

Per CPB, all payroll related forms must be typed. Please do not write on the forms as the documents will be rejected by CPB. Please be sure to also print the forms and add a wet signature as opposed to an electronic signature.

*NOTE -Upon opening the form, employees are required to type directly into the appropriate fields.  When complete, the form will need to be printed, signed with a pen in blue or black ink and mailed to the address on the bottom of the form.


***Processing of payroll forms may take approximately six weeks from date received contingent on accuracy of submitted forms.***




Returning/Renewal Employees


All documents listed must be submitted in person to our office. Please email to schedule an appointment to turn in the documents.

Please review the following Renewal Student Resource prior to completing the below documents. 

Required Documents:



For Supervisors

Please note, receiving status of approval from our office can take between 7-10 business days from the date we receive all required and accurately submitted documents.

2024-2025 Forms 


Supervisor Timesheet Resources

Approving Timesheets Resource for Approved Supervisors


  • UMB off-campus federal work study jobs are only approved for the state of Maryland and the District of Columbia.
  • Prior to accepting a job at an off-campus site, please contact the Office of Student Employment for guidance.
  • Only students who are awarded FWS funds can participate in the FWS program.
  • Students must obtain an approved FWS job prior to completing employment paperwork. 
  • Students will not receive their first paycheck for four to six weeks after all payroll documents have been completed properly. Incorrect, incomplete, or missing payroll documents will delay the processing time.