Applying for Financial Aid

The who, what, when, where, and how of applying for financial aid:


Any student, who is a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen, is eligible to receive federal financial aid! For more information about determining eligibility, please see:


The University requires that students file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year they wish to be considered for federal aid. When filing the FAFSA, you will have the option to indicate that you are interested in being considered for any or all of the following:

  • Loans
  • Grants/Scholarships
  • Work Study


The 2022-2023 FAFSA is available now! UMB has a priority award date of March 1 and students should file before this date. Students may complete the FAFSA after the priority award date; however, due to limited resources, funds from certain programs may not be available. Maryland residents should file before March 1 to be eligible for Maryland State Scholarships.


The fastest way to file a FAFSA is online. Students who have never filed a FAFSA or who have filed but do not remember their Federal Student Aid ID (FSA ID) should first register/reapply for an FSA ID. Students who wish to file a paper FAFSA may call Federal Student Aid Information at 1-800-4-FED-AID and request an application be mailed.


When you file the 2022-2023 FAFSA, you will need income records, your federal tax return, and various other documents.

All students will need 

  • Social Security number
  • 2018 W-2 forms and any other record of money earned
  • Driver's license (if any)
  • 2018 federal income tax return
  • 2018 untaxed income records (if any)
  • Current bank statements and mortgage and investment records (if any)
  • Alien registration card (if not a U.S. citizen)
  • UMB's Federal School Code — 002104

Dependent students and students enrolled in the schools of dentistry and pharmacy* will need the additional following parental information: 

  • Social Security number(s)
  • 2018 W2 forms and any other record of money earned
  • 2018 federal income tax return
  • 2018 untaxed income records (if any)
  • Current bank statements and mortgage and investment records (if any)

*This information is required of dentistry and pharmacy students interested in receiving the Health Professions Loan. Eligibility for this loan requires the verification of both student and parent federal tax documents. Submitting this information will not affect the status of students who are independent and will not affect their eligibility for other aid.

Tips for FAFSA completion 

Are you in a health professions program (dentistry or pharmacy)?
There are low-interest loans and some grants available to health professions students; however, both student and parental information are required by law in order to determine student eligibility. If you would like to be considered for these awards, you must complete Step 4 of the FAFSA.

Are you interested in work study?
Answer “yes” and enter "1" for Question 31 on the FAFSA.

Are you an undergraduate nursing, dental hygiene, or medical technology student?
If it is your first year at UMB, the answer to Question 29 should be “3.” If it is your second year, the answer should be “4.” If it is your third year, the answer should be “5.”

Are you a naturalized citizen?
Answer “1” to question 14. Do not provide your alien registration number.