- Academic Affairs
- Accountability and Compliance
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Community Engagement
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Philanthropy
- Operations and Planning
- UMB Police Department
- President's Office
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
What is Microsoft Teams?
Microsoft Teams is an entirely new experience that brings together people, conversations, and content — along with the tools that teams need — so they can easily collaborate to achieve more. It’s naturally integrated with the familiar Office applications and is built from the ground up on the Microsoft Office 365 global, secure cloud.
What platforms does Microsoft Teams support?
Microsoft Teams runs on Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and web platforms.
How do I become part of a Microsoft Team?
You must be licensed and either create a Microsoft Team or be added to a Microsoft Team.
- To requst a new team site for your department, project, or initiative, complete the Teams Request Form.
- If you are added to a team, you will receive an email informing you that you are a member and include a link to access it.
Either of these options will automatically license you to use Teams.
How do you get to the Team's information once I'm a member?
- Via the Microsoft Teams Desktop Client (best user experience). Download the Microsoft Teams Desktop Client here: Microsoft Teams Client Download
- On your mobile device. Download the Microsoft Teams Desktop Client here: Microsoft Teams Client Download
- Via the Office 365 Portal. Access the Office 365 Portal using this link https://portal.office.com
Can I collaborate with external colleagues using Microsoft Teams?
Yes, but the external colleague also needs to use an Office 365 account. You will need to enter the email address for the external user when you add them to the Team (or SharePoint) and this will automaticaly send that external user an invitation email with a link to the Team (or SharePoint site). Once they click on the link, they will be able to login using their Office 365 account (email address for account must match email invitation was sent to) and then they will appear in the list of users for your Team/site. Note: external users will appear as guests in Teams. If the external user does not have an Office 365 account associated with the email you sent their invitation, they can easily create one using the link provided in the email inviation.
What level of security and compliance does Microsoft Teams support?
Microsoft Teams has a broad set of global compliance and data protection requirements, which includes ISO 27001, ISO 27018, EUMC, SOC 1 Type I & II, SOC 2 Type I and II, HIPAA, and FERPA. Microsoft Teams also enforces two-factor authentication, single sign-on through Active Directory, and encryption of data in transit and at rest.
Microsoft Teams training and resource information:
- Microsoft Teams End User Training Resource Center
- Welcome to Teams Video
- Microsoft Teams Help Center
- Admin Guide for Teams
- Microsoft Teams Quick Start Video
- Microsoft Teams Quick Start Guide
- Microsoft Teams Quick Start Guide (downloadable version)
- Additional Teams Training Videos
- Microsoft Teams Deep Dive for End Users
- Current Limitations within Teams
How do I get notifications/updates from Teams?
- Important things to know about Notifications: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/six-things-to-know-about-notifications-abb62c60-3d15-4968-b86a-42fea9c22cf4
- Notifications can be setup through the settings section within your Teams app or Teams web app. Many options are available on how to get notified.https://support.office.com/en-us/article/manage-notifications-in-teams-1cc31834-5fe5-412b-8edb-43fecc78413d
- We also always recommend following channels that are important to you. https://support.office.com/en-us/article/favorite-or-follow-a-channel-in-teams-91a37043-acea-49b0-9dfc-aec37b2e92b8
- Check a Channel for notifications. https://support.office.com/en-us/article/check-a-channel-for-notifications-in-teams-56cae2de-69c0-445e-ae7f-7d8f5d205857
- Also Teams has an Activity section. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/platform/concepts/activity-feed
- @mentions can also be used. https://support.office.com/en-us/article/use-mentions-to-get-someone-s-attention-in-teams-eb4f059d-320e-454e-b111-03361d4d6855
To get the most out of Teams, make sure you have the Teams application installed. Both on desktops as well as mobile devices. This really helps when you don’t want email notifications as the apps will provide notifications.