Applying for Financial Aid

Students must file a FAFSA each year. They must do so to be considered for aid. This page offers crucial information and guidance for students seeking federal financial assistance. From the necessity of filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) annually to eligibility criteria, deadlines, filing options, and required documentation, this page serves as a comprehensive resource to ensure students navigate the financial aspect of higher education effectively.

UMB School Code: 002104
Priority Deadline: March 1


Any student, who is a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen, is eligible to receive federal financial aid.

Determining Eligibility

For more information about determining eligibility, please see:

  • Non-citizen eligibility

  • Drug use and ineligibility.

  • Alternative loan options for non-citizens.


The 2024-2025 FAFSA is now available!

UMB has a priority filing date of March 1. To be considered for grant funds, students must complete their FAFSA by the priority deadline.

Students may submit the FAFSA after the priority award date. But, due to limited resources, funds from some programs may not be available.

Maryland Residents State Awards

The Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC) has extended its FAFSA deadline. Maryland residents have until June 1, 2024, to be considered for state awards. But, students should submit the FAFSA by the priority deadline of March 1, 2024 to receive a notice of eligibility by April 15, 2024.

Filing Options

The fastest way to file a FAFSA is online through In order to file a FAFSA, you need a Federal Student Aid ID (FSA ID). You can register for one on the FAFSA website.  

Students who want to file a paper FAFSA must call 1-800-4-FED-AID. They can provide a paper FAFSA by mail.

Required Documents

To file the 2024-2025 FAFSA, you will need:

  • your FSA ID and password

Dependent students will need: 

  • parent's full name
  • parent's birth date
  • parent's Social Security Number (SSN
  • parent's valid email address
    You will  need these to invite your parent as a contributor to the FAFSA.

Married students who file taxes separately need:

  • spouse's full name
  • spouse's birth date
  • spouse's Social Security Number (SSN)
    You need it to invite your spouse as a contributor.

You may also need some of the following documents: 

  • Tax returns

  • Records of child support received.

  • Current balances of cash, savings, and checking accounts.

  • Net worth of investments, businesses, and farms.