- Academic Affairs
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Office of Philanthropy
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Community Engagement
- Operations and Planning
- Office of the President
- Police and Public Safety
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
If project work is ongoing and funds remain available to cover project expenses, it may be appropriate to request an extension of the project period. Considerations include award terms, funding for committed effort on the project, timing, and approvals required.
A "no-cost extension" means that the project end date is extended (moved to a later date) but no additional funds are added by the sponsor to cover the extension period.
Request a no-cost extension three to four weeks before the award expiration date, and even longer if sponsor approval of the extension is required. The award terms and conditions usually state whether or not sponsor prior approval is required for a no-cost extension.
- Federal grants: Most NIH grants and many others allow UMB to approve, internally, ONE extension of up to 12 months. Ask for the full 12 months. Subsequent extensions require agency approval. The request for extension must document the reason why the extension is needed. The No-cost Extension Request Form lists appropriate reasons for an extension, including time for completion of original project objectives, continuity of support while a competing renewal application is under review, or time to complete phase-out of a project that will not receive continued support. Submit the signed request to your SPA team.
- Clinical study agreements: Many CSAs do not include an end date. If there is no specified term of agreement or end date, then the project dates can be extended while the study is active, with internal approval, using the No-cost Extension Request Form. Submit the signed request to your SPA team
- Sponsor approval and formal modification of the award document is required for many awards, including subrecipient agreements and corporate agreements. To request sponsor approval, the PI initiates a letter or email to the sponsor making and justifying the request. The request is forwarded to your SPA team for the institutional official signature and sent to the sponsor. If the sponsor has already approved the extension, forward documentation of the approval to your SPA team via email. The email to your SPA team should include the Project ID, sponsor, PI, and new end date. SPA will request additional information if required. Once sponsor approval has been obtained, SPA will process and forward the information to Sponsored Projects Accounting and Compliance (SPAC) to update eUMB Financials.
Extension of subawards issued by UMB
After the chartstring has been extended in eUMB Financials, use the Subaward Request to initiate an extension to the subaward.