- Academic Affairs
- Accountability and Compliance
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Community Engagement
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Philanthropy
- Operations and Planning
- Police and Public Safety
- President's Office
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
Key Personnel are the program director/principal investigator (PD/PI) and other individuals who contribute to the scientific development or execution of a project in a substantive, measurable way, whether or not they request salaries or compensation. Review the sponsor's funding opportunity and policies for more specific guidance.
A consultant is not usually considered "Key," but may be included if their proposed project work meets the above definition. Generally speaking, technicians, postdoctoral fellows, nurses, graduate students, and other related individuals, while still serving an important roll on the project, would not be typically included as “Key.”
KR Proposal Roles
PI/Contact: UMB’s Principal Investigator for the project; the contact PI for a multiple PI proposal
PI/Multiple: Use only for UMB investigators. This is used for the other Principal Investigators from UMB for a multiple PI proposal
Co-Investigator - labeled "CO-PI (requires routing)": Use of this role is not recommended. DO NOT use for non-UMB persons.
- Approval routing maps are generated based on units of the PI, Multiple PI, and Co-Investigators for the proposal. For example, if a PI is in Physiology and a colleague with the role Co-Investigator is in Anesthesiology, both departments will have to approve the proposal. We suggest that users select the role Key Person, and then enter the appropriate proposal role in the Key Person's Role field.
Key Person: Once selected, you will add a brief description for this person’s role as follows:
- Non-UMB multiple PI: PD/PI
- UMB or Non-UMB Co-Investigator: Co-Investigator
- UMB or Non-UMB other roles: enter the person’s role on the project, such as investigator, OSC or Other Significant Contributor, biostatistician, etc.