- Academic Affairs
- Accountability and Compliance
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Community Engagement
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Philanthropy
- Operations and Planning
- Police and Public Safety
- President's Office
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
NIH R-series Proposals
Reference for: NIH Research Grant applications
Review the NIH Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) for specific instructions related to your proposal.
All applications proposing clinical trials must be submitted through an FOA designated specifically for clinical trials.
Upload in Attachments section, Personnel tab:
Biosketch for PI and all senior/key personnel and Other Significant Contributors – blank form, instructions and samples
Upload in Attachments section, Proposal tab
Project Summary/Abstract - Project_Summary
Project Narrative - Narrative
Bibliography & References Cited - Bibliography
Facilities & Other Resources – Facilities
Equipment – Equipment
- Detailed – Budget_Justification – required for any detailed budget submission
- Personnel Justification - PHS-ModBud PersonJustif – required for any modular grant
- Consortium Justification – PHS_ModBud_ConsortiumJustif – include if modular budget includes a subaward
- Additional Narrative Justification - PHS_ModBud_NarrativeJustif – include if modular budget amount is not the same for all years (e.g., $200,000 every year)
Specific Aims - PHS_ResearchPlan_SpecificAims
Research Strategy - PHS_ResearchPlan_ResearchStrategy
Human Subjects forms - upload in Compliance section as part of a compliance entry
Upload in Attachments section, Proposal tab; see NIH application guide for details on applicability:
Cover Letter - RRSF424_Cover_Letter: include application title and Funding Opportunity (PA or RFA) title of the NIH initiative. Follow the NIH application guide and FOA instructions.
- Required for LATE applications or for changed/corrected applications submitted after the due date — include specific information about the timing and nature of the cause of the delay
- Required to explain any subaward budget components that are not active for all periods of the proposed grant
- Required to certify that a required approval of the application is included, such as approval for applications $500,000 or more, or approval for Conference Grant or Cooperative Agreement (R13 or U13). Include the official communication from an NIH official as part of your cover letter PDF
- Required when intending to submit a video as part of the application; the cover letter must include information about the intent to submit it.
- Required if proposed studies will generate large-scale human or non-human genomic data
- DO NOT include assignment request information; all such requests MUST be transmitted using the Assignment Request Form (optional form)
Multiple PD/PI Leadership Plan — PHS_ResearchPlan_MultiplePILeadershipPlan – required for applications designating multiple PD/PIs. See NIH Application Guide for specific instructions.
Consortium/Contractual Arrangements — PHS_ResearchPlan_ConsortiumContractualArrangements — required for applications that include a subrecipient
Letters of Support — PHS_ResearchPlan_LettersOfSupport — required for consultants: include rate/charge for consulting services and level of effort/number of hours per year anticipated. Include other letters as appropriate, e.g., consortium participants, collaborators, assurances of access to core facilities and resources.
Human Specimens and/or Data — PHS_HumanSubjectsAndCT_InvolveHumanSpecimensExp — required if there are NO human subjects, but you respond YES on the Questionnaire to the question: "Does the proposed research involve human specimens and/or data?" - review NIH guidance here and here.
Human Subjects, Other Requested Information — PHS_HumanSubjectsAndCT_OtherRequestedInfo — May be required you answered YES to ALL four questions in section 1.4 of the Human Subject Study Record. Content is limited to what is described in your FOA or in the NIH instructions. Do not use the "Other Requested Information" attachment to include any other information. If a specific file name is not given in the FOA, use a meaningful file name since it will become a bookmark in the assembled application image.
NOTE: To be clear, if you have a Compliance entry for Human Subjects, the only human subjects-related file uploaded on the Attachments tab would be the Other Requested Information attachment, and it is uploaded only if required by the FOA.
Vertebrate Animals — PHS_ResearchPlan_VertebrateAnimals — required if vertebrate animals are involved
Select Agent Research — PHS_ResearchPlan_SelectAgentResearch — required if applicable
Resource Sharing Plan(s) — PHS_ResearchPlan_ResourceSharingPlans — required if applicable
Authentication of Key Biological and/or Chemical Resources — PHS_ResPlan_Auth_Key_Bio-Chem_Resources — required if applicable
Introduction to Application — PHS_ResearchPlan_IntroductionToApplication — required for RESUBMISSIONS only (an A1 application submitted within 37 months after the original submission)
Progress Report Publication List — PHS_ResearchPlan_ProgressReport_PubList — required for RENEWAL applications only
When appropriate, upload this optional attachment in the Attachments section, Proposal tab:
Appendix – PHS_ResearchPlan_Appendix – maximum of 10 PDF attachments; follow NIH policy and FOA instructions on what may and may not be included in the Appendix
When needed, upload this optional attachment as a User attached form (Basics > S2S Opportunity Search > User Attached Forms tab):
PHS Assignment Request Form – may be used to communicate specific application assignment and review requests. Is not provided to program staff or reviewers.