- Academic Affairs
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Development and Alumni Relations
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Community Engagement
- Operations and Planning
- Office of the President
- Police and Public Safety
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
Creating SMART Goals
Dec. 13, 2016
UMB is implementing SMART goals across our administrative areas and schools. Learn how to enter your specific, measurable, achievable, realistic, and time-based (SMART) goals into the Compliance Assist app.
A framework For The 2017-2021 Strategic Plan Is Available
August 16, 2016
UMB’s individual schools and units will make the strategic plan “come alive” by developing measurable goals that align with the strategic objectives and that put UMB on a trajectory to realize the strategic outcomes in the plan.
Town Hall Ramps Up New Strategic Plan
May 19, 2016
More than a hundred people turned out for a town hall on May 18 to offer their suggestions on goals that when finalized will form the foundation of UMB’s 2017-2021 strategic plan.
Planning Process, Committee, and Themes
- Develop strategic plan themes and high-level goals based on:
- UMB mission, vision, core values
- Middle States self-study goals, president’s goals, USM goals, current strategic planning goals, schools' strategic goals, others
- Involve deans, VPs, shared governance councils, local community, UMMC/UMMS, key members of schools' Board of Visitors, UMB Foundation, local associations, others
- Universitywide feedback/input sessions on themes and goals
- Draft goals
- Draft plan
- Finalize and adopt plan
- Design implementation plan
Steering Committee - 23 Members
- All seven schools represented
- Central administration
- Faculty Senate
- Staff Senate
- Student Senate
- 12 faculty
- 10 staff
- One student
Logistics Committee – 8 Members
- Institute for Genome Science
- Operations and Planning
- Human Resources
- Academic and Student Affairs
Roles and Responsibilities
Develop a plan that is objective and action-oriented to direct, anchor, and define UMB for the next five years.
- Develop and recommend to UMB’s executive leadership the strategic Themes and Goals that will form the core of the 2017 – 2021 plan.
- Engage our faculty, staff, students, partners, and communities in a transparent process to receive input and feedback on the strategic Themes and Goals.
- Suggest ways in which members of the University community may play an active role in monitoring and assessing the effectiveness of the plan’s implementation over the next five years.
Theme 1 - Health, Justice, and Social Impact
Objective: Deepen and expand local and global engagement by providing health, legal, and social work programs, and engaging in research to promote social justice and improve health.
Theme 2 - Research and Scholarship
Objective: Harness the power of research and scholarship to deepen understanding of systems, institutions, and basic and translational sciences in the search for solutions to complex problems impacting individuals, families, and communities.
Theme 3 - Student Success
Objective: Design contemporary teaching and learning environments that are accessible and affordable to prepare students to be exemplary professionals and leaders in society.
Theme 4 - Inclusive Excellence
Objective: Foster an environment that recognizes and values each member of the UMB community, enabling members to function at their highest potential to achieve their personal and professional goals.
Theme 5 - Partnership and Collaboration
Objective: Collaborate internally and externally to provide impactful education, services, and expertise to benefit Maryland and society at-large.
Theme 6 - Efficiency, Effectiveness, and Assessment
Objective: Incentivize efficiency, effectiveness, and evaluation to make more responsible and impactful use of UMB’s resources.