- Academic Affairs
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Office of Philanthropy
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Community Engagement
- Operations and Planning
- Office of the President
- Police and Public Safety
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
Routing and Signatures
Approval routing is required for all projects funded by an external sponsor.
The Principal Investigator (PI), by signing or electronically approving the proposal, promises to perform the project and to follow the relevant rules, regulations and reporting requirements for that sponsor.
Routing through Kuali Coeus documents required internal approvals for proposal submission and award acceptance. The Office of Research and Development institutional official provides authorization to commit the University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) and its resources to the project, and has the authority to accept an award or agreement on behalf of UMB.
Routing of internal (intramural) grant proposals is also required. Use the internal routing form to route these proposals if Sponsored Projects Accounting and Compliance (SPAC) will need to set up a Project ID and submit and financial reports.
Internal Routing Deadlines have been in effect since January 3, 2011. In summary:
- The Principal Investigator must either submit the proposal for approval through Kuali Coeus, or approve after the initiator submits the proposal.
- All proposals will be submitted to the appropriate Dean’s Office at least seven (7) business days prior to the sponsor deadline for review and validation.
- The Dean’s Office will forward the proposal to the Sponsored Programs Administration (SPA) office at least five (5) days prior to the sponsor deadline for review and validation.
- Proposals that reach SPA in FINAL form at least five (5) business days prior to the sponsor deadline will be submitted by SPA at least three (3) days prior to sponsor deadline to allow sufficient time for sponsor review/validation and (if necessary) submission of a change/corrected proposal.
Enter the proposal details in Kuali Coeus. It is important to select the correct activity type, which affects the F&A rate, the Questionnaires, and the approval routing to Sponsored Programs Administration (SPA) or the Center for Clinical Trials and Corporate Contracts (CCT). Corporate funding activity types
Develop the budget using Kuali Coeus, or, if a detailed budget is not required by the sponsor, you may develop the budget outside of Kuali Coeus and enter "high level" values.
Upload attachments (such as biosketches, narratives, budget justification, internal documents) into Kuali Coeus. Note that attachments for clinical study agreements are under the "Add Internal Attachments" panel on the "Abstracts and Attachments" tab.
Use the proposal checklists linked on the Forms page to help organize your proposal.
Ask the PI(s) to certify. The PI is ultimately responsible for proposal content and should always review the proposal (attachments, questionnaires, special review) prior to submission to ensure that it is complete and accurate for submission to the sponsor.
Use the Kuali Coeus Validation tool before submitting the proposal into routing. For S2S (Grants.gov) proposals, go to the S2S tab and print each form to identify any errors. Work with your SPA team to resolve validation errors.