- Academic Affairs
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Community Engagement
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Philanthropy
- Operations and Planning
- Police and Public Safety
- President's Office
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
Routing and Signatures
Approval routing is required for all projects funded by an external sponsor.
The Principal Investigator (PI), by certifying the proposal in Kuali Research, promises to perform the project and to follow the relevant rules, regulations, and reporting requirements for that sponsor.
The Kuali Research approval routing provides documentation of required internal approvals for proposal submission and award acceptance. The Office of Research and Development institutional official provides authorization to commit the University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) and its resources to the project, and has the authority to accept an award or agreement on behalf of UMB.
Routing of internal (intramural) grant proposals also is required. Use the internal routing form to route these proposals if Sponsored Projects Accounting and Compliance (SPAC) will need to set up a Project and submit financial reports.
Internal Routing Deadlines have been in effect since Jan. 3, 2011. In summary:
- The Principal Investigator must either submit the proposal for approval through Kuali Coeus or approve after the initiator submits the proposal.
- All proposals will be submitted to the appropriate Dean’s Office at least seven (7) business days prior to the sponsor deadline for review and validation.
- The Dean’s Office will forward the proposal to the Sponsored Programs Administration (SPA) office at least five (5) days prior to the sponsor deadline for review and validation.
- Proposals that reach SPA in FINAL form at least five (5) business days prior to the sponsor deadline will be submitted by SPA at least three (3) days prior to sponsor deadline to allow sufficient time for sponsor review/validation and (if necessary) submission of a change/corrected proposal.
Enter the proposal details in Kuali Research.
Develop the budget using Kuali Research, or, if a detailed budget is not required by the sponsor, you may develop the budget outside of Kuali Research and enter "high level" values.
Upload attachments (such as biosketches, narratives, budget justification, internal documents) into Kuali Research.
Use the proposal checklists linked on the Forms page to help organize your proposal.
Notify the PI(s) to certify. The PI is ultimately responsible for proposal content and should always review the proposal (attachments, questionnaires, special review) before certifying to ensure that it is complete and accurate for submission to the sponsor.
Use the Kuali Research Validation tool before submitting the proposal into routing. For S2S (Grants.gov) proposals, go to the Basics > S2S Opportunity Search > Forms tab, and print each form to identify any errors. Work with your SPA team to resolve validation errors.