- Academic Affairs
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Development and Alumni Relations
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Community Engagement
- Operations and Planning
- Office of the President
- Police and Public Safety
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
The University System of Maryland Board of Regents has tasked the University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) and the University of Maryland, College Park (UMCP) with establishing a special working relationship that is designed to promote innovation and impact through collaboration. This collaborative relationship is called MPowering the State.
Sponsored Programs implementation of the MPowering the State initiative
An inter-institutional letter of intent (MPowering letter) is used by both UMB and UMCP in all proposals for sponsored funding that involve collaborative work between investigators on the two campuses.
- Prime campus” is the campus of the Principal Investigator who is submitting the proposal to the funding Sponsor
- “Subrecipient campus” is the other UM campus, where the collaborating investigator is located.
These roles are specific to each proposal. Both UMB and UMCP can be the prime campus or the subrecipient campus.
1. Budgets: The MPowering initiative does not affect the budget for the proposal. It should be prepared in accordance with the requirements of the funding sponsor.
The budget for the prime campus, should include the budget for the other UM campus as a subaward in their proposal budget, applying the applicable indirect cost rate to the first $25,000 of the subaward budget, as is standard budgeting practice.*
Budget Justifications should be prepared by both campuses, each for their own budget.
* as of 12/26/2014, indirect costs can no longer be waived on the first $25,000 of the subaward budget
2. Letter of Intent: Use the MPowering Letter Template to create a Letter of Intent for the proposal. (generally prepared by the subrecipient campus administrator with input from the prime campus administrator)
3. Routing: The subrecipient campus should include the MPowering letter with the internal routing of their proposal (via Kuali Coeus at UMB; Coeus at UMCP). The authorized representative in the institutional research office (SPA at UMB; ORA at UMCP) will sign the letter as part of the routing approval process.
4. Once signed, the subrecipient campus should send the signed MPowering letter to the administrative contact for the proposal at the prime campus.
5. The prime campus should include the MPowering letter with the internal routing of their proposal (via Kuali Coeus at UMB; Coeus at UMCP). The authorized representative in the institutional research office (SPA at UMB; ORA at UMCP) will sign the letter as part of the routing approval process.
6. The prime campus is responsible for ensuring that the MPowering letter signed by both UM campuses is included in the proposal when submitted to the funding Sponsor.
7. As a courtesy, the prime campus administrator should email a pdf of the letter signed by both campuses to the subrecipient campus administrator, for their records.