- Academic Affairs
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Community Engagement
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Philanthropy
- Operations and Planning
- Police and Public Safety
- President's Office
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
Faculty and Staff
All newly hired faculty and staff are required to attend New Employee Onboarding by your first day. You will be registered for Onboarding by your department representative. The location, time, and parking information will be included in a welcome email that will be sent when registration is complete.
The checklist below lists forms that need to be completed on your first day of employment. You can either (1) print and complete the forms prior to your first day, or (2) complete the forms when you attend onboarding. Notaries will be available. Please use black ink to complete the forms.
You also will need to bring the identification you used to complete your Form I-9 (passport or driver's license and Social Security card).
New Hire Forms Checklist for Regular Faculty and Staff
- Employment Eligibility Verification — Form I-9 (with accompanying required documents)
- State of Maryland Payroll Direct Deposit Authorization Form
- 2018-MD-W4 — W4 for all residents of any state except D.C. and West Virginia
- 2018-DC-W4 — W4 for District of Columbia residents
- 2018-WV-W4 — W4 for West Virginia residents
- Supplemental Data Form
- Retirement Forms (for Pension or ORP) — State law requires all regular faculty and staff to enroll in a retirement plan immediately upon employment.
- Health Insurance
If you are not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, contact HRS at 410-706-7171, Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m., before arriving at Onboarding.
Retirement Plan Enrollment
State law requires all regular faculty and staff to enroll in a retirement plan immediately upon employment.
FACULTY AND EXEMPT STAFF
Regular faculty and exempt staff can choose between the Optional Retirement Program (ORP) and the Maryland State Retirement and Pension System (SRPS).
An election to join either retirement plan is permanent and irrevocable. Retirement information will be provided during orientation; however, you may wish to consult with a financial advisor prior to your first day.
For basic points to consider in making your decision, review the documents below.
- Pension Plan/Optional Retirement Plan Comparison Chart
- Choosing a Retirement Program Comparison Guide
Non-exempt staff must join the Pension Plan that is available through the Maryland State Retirement & Pension System.
Retirement Election Forms
- Maryland State Retirement Agency Application for Membership
- Maryland State Retirement Agency Designation of Beneficiary — a notary will be present at the Onboarding session. Please do not sign this form until in the presence of a notary.
Health Benefits Enrollment
UMB participates in the State of Maryland health benefits plans. New employees have 60 calendar days from their original date of employment to enroll in a health care plan for yourself and eligible dependents. Please visit the State of Maryland Employee Health Benefits Division website for additional details on the benefit options available to you. When you enroll, you must complete the following documents:
- Active and Satellite Employees Health Benefits Enrollment and Change Form PDF
- Disabled Dependent Certification PDF (for disabled dependents age 26 and older — must be done every two years)
- Health Benefits Transfer Form from a MD state agency or USM institution PDF (only needed if you are a transfer from another Maryland state agency)
If adding a dependent, additional documentation is required at the time you submit your enrollment form:
- Copy of official marriage certificate, must be signed by the Clerk of the Court, if enrolling a spouse on your health/life plans. The marriage license is not acceptable.
- Copies of birth certificate(s) showing you as the parent for each dependent child being enrolled.
Transfers from a different USM school or State of Maryland agency
If you have accepted a position at UMB and are currently employed with another University System of Maryland school or State of Maryland agency, you will need to do the following:
- Before you start at UMB, have your Benefits Coordinator complete this form and fax it to the phone number listed at the bottom. We also request that you bring a copy of this form with you to Onboarding to ensure there are no missed benefit deductions.
- Have your payroll representative prepare the following on the school or agency letterhead and bring with you to Onboarding:
- Date of hire
- Category of employment
- Breaks in service
- Total number of accrued hours for annual and sick leave