- Academic Affairs
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Development and Alumni Relations
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Community Engagement
- Operations and Planning
- Office of the President
- Police and Public Safety
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
Faculty and Staff
All newly hired Faculty and Staff are required to attend New Employee Onboarding by your first day. You will be registered for Onboarding by your department representative. The location, time and parking information will be included in a welcome email that will be sent when registration is complete.
The checklist below lists forms that need to be completed on your first day of employment. You can either (1) print and complete the forms prior to your first day, or (2) complete the forms when you attend onboarding. Notaries will be available. Please use black ink to complete the forms.
You will also need to bring the identification you used to complete your Form I-9 (passport or driver's license and social security card).
New Hire Forms Checklist for Regular Faculty and Staff
- Employment Eligibility Verification – Form I-9 (with accompanying required documents)
- State of Maryland Payroll Direct Deposit Authorization Form
- W-4 2017 - W4 for all residents of any state except DC and WV
- W4-DC-2017- W4 for District of Columbia residents
- W4-WV-2017 - W4 for West Virginia residents
- Supplemental Data Form
- Retirement Forms (For Pension or ORP) - State law requires all regular faculty and staff to enroll in a retirement plan immediately upon employment
- Health Insurance
If you are not a US Citizen or Permanent Resident, contact HRS at 410-706-7171 Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 5:00pm before arriving at Onboarding.
Retirement Plan Enrollment
State law requires all regular faculty and staff to enroll in a retirement plan immediately upon employment. Non-exempt employees (other than law enforcement officers) must enroll in the Maryland State Retirement and Pension System (SRPS). Regular law enforcement officers are required to join the Law Enforcement Officers Pension System (LEOPS).
Faculty and exempt staff employees are eligible for one of two retirement programs.
- Maryland State Retirement and Pension System (SRPS)
- Optional Retirement Programs (ORP). (Fidelity Investments, and TIAA)
An election to join either retirement plan is permanent and irrevocable. Retirement information will be provided during orientation; however, you may wish to consult with a financial advisor prior to your first day.
For basic points to consider in making your decision, review the document below.
If you are selecting the Pension, complete the following documents:
- Maryland State Retirement Agency Application for Membership
- Maryland State Retirement Agency Designation of Beneficiary - a notary will be present at the Onboarding session. Please do not sign this form until in presence of notary.
If you are selecting the ORP, complete the following documents:
Health Benefits Enrollment
UMB participates in the State of Maryland health benefits plans. New employees have 60 calendar days from their original date of employment to enroll in a healthcare plan for yourself and eligible dependents. Please visit the State of Maryland Employee Health Benefits Division website for additional details on the benefit options available to you. When you enroll, you must complete the following documents:
- Active and Satellite Employees Health Benefits Enrollment and Change Form PDF
- Disabled Dependent Certification PDF (for disabled dependents age 26 and older – must be done every two years)
- Health Benefits Transfer Form from a MD state agency or USM institution PDF (Only needed if you are a transfer from another MD state agency)
If adding a dependent, additional documentation is required at the time in which you submit your enrollment form:
- Copy of official marriage certificate, must be signed by the Clerk of the Court, if enrolling a spouse on your health/life plans. The marriage license is not acceptable.
- Copies of birth certificate(s) showing you as the parent for each dependent child being enrolled.
Transfers from a different USM school or State of Maryland Agency
If you have accepted a position at UMB and are currently employed with another USM school or State of Maryland agency, you will need to do the following:
- Before you start at UMB, have your Benefits Coordinator complete this form and fax it to the phone number listed at the bottom. We also request that you bring a copy of this form with you to Onboarding to ensure there are no missed benefit dedcutions.
- Have your payroll representative prepare the following on the school or agency letterhead and bring with you to Onboarding:
- Date of Hire
- Category of employment
- Breaks in service
- Total number of accrued hours for annual and sick leave