- Academic Affairs
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Community Engagement
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Philanthropy
- Operations and Planning
- Police and Public Safety
- President's Office
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
To be eligible for the UMB Live Near Your Work (LNYW) Program, you must meet all of the following conditions:
- You are a regular full- or part-time (50 percent FTE or more) faculty or staff employee of the University of Maryland, Baltimore that is in good standing.
- The home being purchased must be within the targeted neighborhoods of Barre Circle, Franklin Square, Hollins Market, Mount Clare, Pigtown/Washington Village, Poppleton, and Union Square.
- You have completed a homeownership counseling program provided by a U.S. Housing and Urban Development-certified housing counselor before signing a contract for sale.
- Minimum homeowner down payment contribution of $1,000.
Please note that the UMB LNYW grant is not available to the following parties:
- Part-time employees with less than 50 percent FTE.
- Employees that are not in good standing.
- University of Maryland Medical Center employees.
- Employees purchasing homes outside of the initiative’s target neighborhoods.
Am I Eligible for Live Near Your Work?
- Are you a UMB faculty or staff member?
- Are you considered a regular full-time or part-time (50% FTE or more) employee of UMB?
- Have you or another member of your household already utilized a LNYW grant?
- Do you plan on purchasing a home within one of the program’s qualifying neighborhoods (Barre Circle, Franklin Square, Hollins Market, Mount Clare, Pigtown/Washington Village, Poppleton, Union Square)?
- Can you make your newly purchased home your primary residence for at least 5 years from the date of settlement?
- Have you ever or are you willing to complete a HUD-certified homeownership counseling program?
- Are you able to contribute a minimum of $1,000 to the home's down payment?
Please answer all questions to see if you qualify.
Congratulations! You may qualify for UMB’s Live Near Your Work Program.
Unfortunately, you do not qualify for UMB’s live Near Your Work Program. However, you may qualify for other financial incentives.
Have questions about your qualifications? Contact us.
Prepare to Apply
If you are interested in purchasing a home using UMB’s LNYW grant, there are numerous ways you can prepare to apply:
- Research your housing options and consider the kind of home you would like to purchase.
- Identify prospective neighborhoods that are a good fit for your lifestyle.
- Check your credit score and strengthen your financial standing, if needed.
- Take advantage of the financial literacy courses offered on campus through Launch Your Life.
- Begin working with a homeownership counseling agency to earn a housing counseling certificate, which is a requirement for many homebuying assistance grants.
- Find a mortgage lender that can advise on other grants you may qualify for.
To learn more about the homebuying process, visit Live Baltimore.