ICTR Biostatistics Core Services
The ICTR has partnered with biostatistics experts across campus to form the ICTR Biostatistics Core to offer all UMB campus faculty access to up to 25 hours of free research-related biostatistical services. The goal of the service is to assist researchers in the appropriate use of biostatistics in the design, implementation, and interpretation of clinical and translational research studies.
The ICTR Biostatistics Core can provide support with:
- Study Design and Power Analysis. Feasibility study and sample size based on the state-of-the-art methodology, such as multistage and adaptive designs. In addition, we design and perform randomization, sensitivity and simulation studies to evaluate study design properties, and sample sizes needed to achieve study objectives, endpoints, and control selection.
- Statistical Analysis. The data analysis plan is provided in the protocol (before data collection takes place) and followed. Assumptions underlying the methods are assessed and the most appropriate statistical method is used for analysis. Beyond major statistical software packages such as SAS, Splus, Stata, StatXact and East, more complex statistical and bioinformatics tool are developed for specific research project (in R or Matlab or SAS).
- Interim Analyses and Data and Safety Monitoring for Clinical Trials. Analyses and adaptive designs (including Bayesian designs) consistent with statistical principles for multiple testing and interim analyses.
- Statistical bioinformatics. Another main focus is in statistical bioinformatics and the analysis of "Big Data" including systems biology, gene regulatory network inference, module biomarker discovery, network biology, data integration, systems pharmacology, personalized medicine, disease-drug-gene association discovery, pattern recognition, image analysis, and data mining.
- Reports and Publications. Data analysis is typically summarized in a statistical report in a form appropriate for manuscripts.
How to Apply for ICTR Resources
Use your UMID to log in to the ICTR Core Service Request webpage to access the application link.
Use this form as well to request an ICTR Voucher application if you need help in defraying the cost of accessing the PHSR Community Database.
PLEASE NOTE! You must be ready to use any service you select on the request form. Services cannot be encumbered for future use.
For questions, please email ICTR-Navigator@umaryland.edu.
ICTR Biostatistics Core Partners
School of Medicine, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Biostatistics and Bioinformatics ▾
The School of Medicine Biostatistics and Bioinformatics Division provides UMB investigators and trainees biostatistical collaboration and consultation service and access to state-of-the-art statistical science, expert statistical analysis, and sound statistical reporting in biomedical research. Biostatisticians provide consultation and collaboration regarding the research design and statistical analysis plan, including the assessment of study feasibility, estimation of sample sizes to meet study objectives, and grant and manuscript preparation.
Pharmaceutical Research Computing (PRC) Service Center ▾
The PRC service center in the Department of Pharmaceutical Health Services Research at the University of Maryland School of Pharmacy has been providing a wide range of services to UMB campus investigators for more than 15 years. Services include analytics (discovery, interpretation, and communication of meaningful patterns in data), SAS programming, data management, statistics, and epidemiology to support health services researchers. The PRC can guide researchers on how to obtain data from outside sources (e.g., CMS, DHMH, and UMBC), secure Memorandums of Understanding or Data Use Agreements, and assist investigators in securing IRB approval.
The PRC service center maintains the Pharmaceutical Health Services Research (PHSR) Community Database Program that oversees several large data sets. Data sets are available to UMB faculty members for research and publications. Contact 410-706-5315 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
School of Nursing Office of Research and Scholarship Biostatistical Services ▾
The School of Nursing Office of Research and Scholarship provides biostatistical services to support UMSON faculty and students for proposal applications and data analysis post-awards.
Need statistical software?
The Center for Information Technology Services (CITS) Office of Software Licensing provides enterprise pricing for software used at the desktop level. Examples of software available to researchers at volume discounts are Mathematica and ARCGis. For statistical analysis, SAS, SPSS and STATA are offered. In addition, antivirus software from Symantec, office productivity software from Microsoft, and presentation software from Adobe are available at reduced rates.