- Academic Affairs
- Accountability and Compliance
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Community Engagement
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Philanthropy
- Operations and Planning
- UMB Police Department
- President's Office
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
A student or applicant with a disability may request reasonable accommodations by completing the Disability Disclosure and Reasonable Accommodations Application.
This form must be submitted with documentation of the disability from an appropriate health care provider. All accommodations are determined on a case-by-case basis, according to the needs of the individual and the individual’s specific program of study for a particular semester. Accommodations may change from semester to semester. If a requested accommodation cannot be implemented, ESDS will discuss with the student requesting the accommodation.
While a student’s request for accommodation is always considered, ESDS engages in an interactive process to devise a plan that is acceptable to the University, the school, and the student. Determination of whether an accommodation is reasonable is made by ESDS in consultation with the school liaison and other appropriate campus personnel. In keeping with the provisions of the ADA, an accommodation will not be approved if it:
(1) Is incompatible with the technical standards for admission to and completion of the program.
(2) Alters the fundamental nature of the academic program.
(3) Would result in a risk to the health or safety of the student or another individual.
(4) Or would result in undue hardship to the University.
A decision that an accommodation would result in undue hardship due to its cost must be approved by the Assistant Vice President of Student and Academic Affairs. Proposed accommodations also will incorporate any school-specific practices for handling of disabilities. UMB may offer alternative accommodations that differ from those suggested by the student.
For information on the accommodations process, please review the ESDS Student Resource Manual, Student Resources page, and the Student FAQ. Students are always encouraged to contact ESDS with any questions as well.