- Academic Affairs
- Accountability and Compliance
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Community Engagement
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Philanthropy
- Operations and Planning
- UMB Police Department
- President's Office
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
F-1 Optional Practical Training (OPT)
Optional Practical Training (OPT) is an employment benefit for which international students on F-1 visas are eligible. It enables a student to work for any employer in the United States as long as the work is related to their studies. Most take advantage of this benefit after they complete their degree. All students are eligible for one year of OPT.
UMB is not the immigration sponsor of employees on OPT, unless they earned their degree at UMB. F-1 students on OPT remain under the immigration sponsorship of the university where they earned their degree while on OPT.
Individuals who have this work authorization will present an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) card for their I-9.
Students who earn at least a bachelor’s degree in science, technology, engineering, or math (STEM) fields are eligible for an extension of OPT. Under new regulations effective May 10, 2016, students are eligible for a 24-month extension, totaling three years of OPT work authorization.
Individuals that have this work authorization will present an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) card for their I-9. Individuals also may present their expired/expiring EAD card AND their I-20 reflecting a recommendation for the STEM extension, if their STEM OPT extension is still pending with USCIS. Employment is authorized beginning on the expiration date of the EAD card and ending on the date of USCIS' written decision on the pending extension application, but not to exceed 180 days.
If an employee approaches you for assistance with the extension application, follow the below steps.
- Download the fillable copy of Form I-983 Training Plan from the F-1 STEM OPT I-983 Submission e-form in Sunapsis — we have pre-populated some fields to make this easier for you.
- Fully complete and sign Form I-983 Training Plan with the student. Check out the resources below for assistance.
- Fill out and submit the F-1 STEM OPT I-983 Submission e-form in Sunapsis
The employer (i.e., supervisor or supervisor's designee) has the following roles in relation to STEM OPT:
- Submits completed form I-983 Training Plan to OIS using the form in Sunapsis
- Monitors any material changes to the terms and conditions of employment AND accordingly adjusts the I-983 Training Plan and upload the updated form in Sunapsis
- Reports termination of employment to OIS in Sunapsis.
What are material changes?
- Change in Employer Identification Number
- Any reduction in compensation
- Any change in hours worked per week
- Any change that renders the previous form I-983 Training Plan inaccurate
- Department of Homeland Security's website on Employers and the Form I-983.