E-3 Sponsorship

The E-3 visa

The E-3 visa category allows qualified citizens of Australia to come to the United States to perform services in a "Specialty Occupation," defined as a position that requires at least a bachelor's degree (or its equivalent) in a specific field of study as a minimum requirement.

Permanent residents of Australia are not eligible for an E-3 visa. Only Australian citizens qualify.

E-3 visas may be granted for a maximum of two years at one time; however, there is no limit to the number of extensions a qualifying E-3 worker may be granted. E-3 visas require non-immigrant intent.

Spouses and children of E-3 employees may apply for E-3 Dependent (E-3D) visas. E-3 spouses are entitled to work in the United States upon admission to the United States in E-3S.


E-3 Sponsorship

Departments who may wish to hire or retain faculty and highly specialized scientific staff should complete the E-3 Employee Request e-forms in Sunapsis so the Office of International Services can determine whether E-3 eligibility criteria are met.


Acquiring E-3 status

If eligible, the OIS will either file a petition with USCIS or provide guidance on how to acquire the E-3 visa and status from overseas. Generally, if the employee is outside the United States, the OIS will review, complete, and submit a Labor Condition Application (LCA) to the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL). Once the LCA is certified, OIS will provide it and a list of documents required to apply for an E-3 visa at a U.S. Consulate. Once the E-3 visa is issued, the Australian citizen can then apply for admission to the U.S. in E-3 status at a U.S. port of entry.  

If the Australian citizen is already inside the United States and has no plans for international travel, the OIS will submit a petition to the USCIS to obtain or extend their E-3 status. The hiring department would be responsible for the $510 regular processing fee and $2,805 premium processing fee. The employee can begin work at UMB once the E-3 petition is approved.