Changing Benefit Elections

Based on IRS regulations, employees are only permitted to make changes to benefits during the annual Open Enrollment period or if the employee has a Qualifying Life Event. Qualifying status events must be reported within 60 days of the date of the qualifying event and proper documentation is required. Otherwise the employee must wait until Open Enrollment to add, terminate or change benefits. 

  • Current employees experiencing a Qualifying Event will need to login to SPS Workday to log their qualifying event.
  • Qualifying Event Benefit Changes have two steps
  • Please make sure to have your such as marriage certificates, loss of coverage letters, and/or any birth certificates scanned for quick upload.
  • Make sure to review the Benefits Guide and Rates, and have your elections handy.
  • Qualifying events will become effective on the 1st of the month following your qualifying event date with the exceptions of newborns, please see ‘Benefit Effective Dates’ below.

Dependent Documentation Requirements

**As of 1/1/2022 - Temporary documents such as crib cards and hospital discharge papers will no longer be accepted for newborn life events - The State of Maryland must have the Birth Certificate and enrollment within 60-days of the birth loaded in SPS Workday. Extensions will not be permitted**

Benefit Effective Dates

1. Effective Dates of Coverage:  Coverage begins on the 1st of the month following the start date of a new hire or the “Qualifying Event” date (such as marriage, loss of coverage, divorce, etc.).   Effective dates for newborns will be adjusted to the actual date of birth.  If deductions do not occur until after their effective date, the State will bill the employee back to their effective date.

2. Terminations:  Coverage will end at the end of the month in which an employee separates from employment or loses eligibility (such as dependents turning 26, removal of spouses/dependents, etc.)

Age 26 Dependent Child

Dependent children who turn age 26 are automatically removed. A COBRA notice will be sent directly to the dependent child. 


If an employee is obligated to continue coverage for a former spouse by terms of the divorce, that coverage can be provided for a limited time under COBRA and Maryland law. If COBRA is selected, the ex-spouse will have his/her own account and will be responsible for paying premiums directly. COBRA coverage is not subsidized by the State.