Sponsored Projects Procedures

New Investigator Checklist

Research, Sponsored Projects   |   Approved October 9, 2015


Checklist to assist investigators with sponsored project proposals and compliance.


Investigators who are new to the University of Maryland Baltimore (UMB) and/or have never submitted a proposal for a sponsored project (fellowship, grant, or contract). For additional details, review the relevant procedure or web page, or contact your Sponsored Programs Administration (SPA) team.


  1. UMB uses Kuali Research for proposal development and internal routing. Investigators need “UMB Principal Investigator” roles in Kuali Research. See Kuali Research User Access procedure.
    1. As a general rule, investigators work with their department administrator(s) to develop proposal budgets, gather proposal documents, and enter data and attachments in Kuali Research. Investigators prepare the proposal narratives (such as the project description or scope of work) and may enter information and attachments in Kuali Research.
    2. For information about including a subrecipient in a proposal, see Include Subrecipients in a Proposal Budget procedure.
  2. To apply for, or to be included as a co-investigator on National Institutes of Health (NIH) grants, investigators need an NIH eCommons User Id that is affiliated with UMB. To apply for National Science Foundation grants, investigators need access to NSF Fastlane.
  3. To apply for, or to be included as a co-investigator on National Institutes of Health (NIH) grant proposals or proposals to other Public Health Service agencies and offices, investigators must complete Financial Conflict of Interest training. The online training module is available through the Office of Accountability and Compliance website. See Comply with Financial Conflict of Interest Policy (PHS) procedure.
  4. To transfer a grant from the investigator’s former institution to UMB, see Transfer a Grant to UMB procedure.
  5. Investigators who propose the use of human subjects in research must take required human subjects training and submit protocols for approval.
  6. Investigators who plan to do animal research must take required animal care and use training and submit protocols for approval.
  7. Investigators who do laboratory research must take laboratory safety training and may have other safety training requirements, depending upon the work in the laboratory. See procedure, Mandatory Annual Laboratory Safety Training.
  8. When applicable, investigators must register use of infectious agents, select agents, pathogens, recombinant DNA or RNA, toxins, non-human primates, sheep, goats, and material of human origin.
  9. Investigators who wish to hire a foreign national employee or recruit a foreign national visiting scientist/scholar must work with their department administrator and the Office of International Services to obtain the appropriate visa for the foreign national employee or visitor. In this context, “foreign national” means a person who is not a U.S. citizen or a U.S. permanent resident. See also the Visiting Scientist or Scholar Agreement procedure.
  10. Investigators who wish to work with a research material from a colleague at another institution or from a company need a Material Transfer Agreement that authorizes use of the material and defines intellectual property rights and other terms. Investigators transferring to UMB may need a Material Transfer Agreement for research materials they are bringing from their former institution.
Fill out my online form.