- Academic Affairs
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Community Engagement
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Philanthropy
- Operations and Planning
- Police and Public Safety
- President's Office
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
Sponsored Projects Procedures
Approval for PostAward Changes
Submit requests for approval of changes to a previously approved grant or contract to comply with sponsor and University of Maryland Baltimore (UMB) procedures.
Investigators and administrators need to be aware that revisions to awarded project plans or budgets must often be approved, either internally by UMB officials or by the sponsor, before they can be applied to the award. Regulated revisions that usually require approvals include:
- Change in scope or objective of the project
- Change of principal investigator (PI) or other key personnel
- Change of PI’s department
- Change of PI’s institution
- Extended absence or disengagement of the PI
- Extension of the project period
- Budget modifications
- Use of funds remaining from a prior budget period (carryover of funds)
- New subawards
For more information, review the Sponsored Programs Administration (SPA) website on changes to project or budget.
- Review the award terms and conditions and sponsor policies to determine whether the proposed revision is allowed for that award and, if so, whether sponsor approval is required.
- Some changes need to be approved internally by UMB officials, but do not require sponsor approval. Contact your SPA team for guidance.
- Depending upon the type of change proposed, a form, email, or memo may be used to request approval. Available forms are on the SPA website.
- The request must be initiated and signed by the PI. The request must include an explanation or justification for the requested change. Obtain additional signatures as instructed on the form or by your SPA team.
- If the request is submitted through Kuali Coeus, the PI’s approval of that proposal record is acceptable documentation. Requests for change of PI or change of PI’s department must be routed for approvals through Kuali Coeus.
- If sponsor approval is required, a SPA official will review and submit the request to the sponsor.
- Sponsor approval must be received from the sponsor in writing.
- SPA will process the approved change and share the information with Sponsored Projects Accounting and Compliance (SPAC). Kuali Coeus and eUM Financials will be updated as appropriate for the change that has been approved.
- If sponsor approval is not required, budget modification requests are submitted directly to SPAC for processing.