ICTR Informatics Core Resources
The ICTR provides up to 25 hours of free services for the resources listed below. Additional hours may be available upon approval by the ICTR Leadership. If you are interested in ICTR Informatics Core service support for the services below, please email ICTR-Navigator@umaryland.edu
REDCap: Research Electronic Data Capture (REDCap) is a UMB ICTR-supported resource widely used by Clinical & Translational Science Award (CTSA) institutions. REDCap allows users to build and manage online surveys and databases quickly for research studies and operations. REDCap Survey Example. The CTRIC team can build a database for your project in REDCap. To build a REDCap database, at a minimum you will need to
- Provide the REDCap team your IRB-approved research surveys, data entry /case report forms, (see sample forms below and embedded comments on FDA CDASH standards)
- Inclusion-Exclusion Checklist
- Informed Consent Process Document
- Medical History
- Physical Exam
- Vital Sign Measurements
- Device Accountability Log
- Drug Dispensation Accountability Log
- Research Sample Tracking Log
- Telephone ContactProtocol Deviation-Unexpected Event Tracking Log
- Serious Adverse Event Per Subject
- Subject Off Study Form
- Provide your project's data collection schedule
Data collected are stored and maintained locally on campus in a firewalled server managed by the UMB Clinical and Translational Research Informatics Center (CTRIC). REDCap provides automated export procedures for seamless data downloads to Excel, PDF, and common statistical packages (SPSS, SAS, Stata, R) as well as a built-in project calendar, a scheduling module, ad hoc reporting tools, and advanced features, such as auto-validation, branching logic, file uploading, calculated fields, and survey stop actions. REDCap can be set up for multi-center studies as well.
Qualtrics Survey Tools: If you need a simple Q&A survey, consider using Qualtrics. UMB has a campus Qualtrics account that is available to faculty, staff, and students at UMB at no cost. Qualtrics is an easy-to-use online survey software that’s powerful enough to perform even the most sophisticated research.
- Provide the CTRIC team your IRB-approved research surveys, data entry /case report forms (see sample forms above),
- Be prepared to present your variable names, variable types, variable descriptions, value options, etc.
- Provide your project's data collection schedule (see sample Schedule of Data Collection above)
Other UMB Campus Resources
Research Data Management Services: The Health Sciences and Human Services Library (HSHSL) Research Connection program can help you develop a data management plan. Many funding agencies require plans for managing data with grant applications. Following best practices in research data management can help you, your lab, or your center secure grant funding and create data output that becomes part of the scholarly record.