On-Campus Employment

On-campus employment means the student is paid by UMB and works on campus. F-1 students who are maintaining status are eligible to work on campus. Employment may be an hourly position or an assistantship.

If you plan to accept an on-campus part-time job, and need to apply for a Social Security Number (SSN), complete the SSN Letter Request in Sunapsis, under F-1 Student Services.

These are the conditions under which a student in F-1 status may work on campus:

  • Must be enrolled full-time.
  • May not work more than 20 hours per week during the academic year.
  • May work full-time only during official university breaks. *Due to the different calendars across the institution, please consult the OIS about when you are allowed to work full-time.

Make sure that you are enrolled full-time and do not work more than 20 hours per week during the semester.

If you are completing your degree requirements, you may not work on campus past the end of your final semester.