Work Number FAQs

What is The Work Number?  The Work Number, a service of TALX Corporation, is an automated process for employment and income that allows employees to have their information verified within a matter of minutes. It is the number one service used by mortgage companies, pre-employment screeners, consumer, finance, and government agencies.

Is the information secure? Absolutely, the data is stored in a secure data center that is SAS 70 certified by third-parties for its level of security.

What is Risk-Based Authentication? Risk-Based Authentication is a secure login system introduced to take additional steps beyond User ID and PIN/Password to ensure users are who they say they are.

What is the Enhanced Security Enrollment and why do I have to do it? Security Enrollment is the process by which you provide us with the information that will be used to verify your identity in the future. This is an innovative way to both protect your identity and to add a new layer of protection to your online account. After you complete this simple process, you'll know you're at an authentic site because you'll see your security image, which you chose during enrollment. We'll know it's really you because we can validate your identity against the information you have provided to us during enrollment.

What is my User ID? The User ID is your UMID. If you are not sure what that is please refer to to create one.

What do I use for a password? The initial password to access the system is the last six (6) digits of the employee SSN. Employees will be prompted to change their password during the initial login into the system. 

What is the Employer Code for our organization?  14654 – University of Maryland (UM) in Baltimore . This five-digit code used to identify each organization in the database can be found at using the Our Participating Employers link.

Who is considered a verifier?  A verifier can be any lending institution, property manager or other business that needs to verify employment or income.

Does verification take longer? No, it is typically turned around instantly. In addition, the automated service is available anytime, anywhere.

What is a Commercial verification?  Standard employment and income verifications are commonly referred to as commercial verifications.

What is Social Services verification? Typical social services verifications include TANF, Food Stamps, Public Housing, Medicaid, Child Support, WIC, Welfare to Work/Job Corp Programs, Social Security, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and other.

Do I need anything special to obtain income verification? The Work Number requires that verifiers have employee authorization to access income information. This allows the employee control over who has the ability to pull their income. .

What is a salary key? A salary key is a six digit electronic signature that is good for a one time use by a verifier. It is one form of employee authorization given to release income information. 

What information is in the system? The Work Number contains your employment history at UM, such as your recent job title, and employment dates. If you authorize salary information it will include: Total Pay to Date per year, Gross and Net pay by pay period only. Any other earnings that add or deduct from your income are not broken out by The Work Number.

Is there going to be a disclaimer explaining the years of furloughs? Verifiers cannot see the specifics that show the difference between gross pay and net pay. In addition, since employees income can change for a variety of reasons (increase in retirement contributions, garnishments, furloughs, etc.), a disclaimer cannot be added specifically for furloughs.

If I have questions on what I can use The Work Number for who should I call? Please call HRS at ext. 67600.

I am having difficulty navigating The Work Number through the phone?  Please follow the Call Center Help document doc

How do I contact The Work Number ?

  • Client Service Center
  • Monday to Friday, 9 8 am to 9 pm EST
  • 1-800-996-7566/1-800-454-0253 (TTY-Deaf)