- Academic Affairs
- Accountability and Compliance
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Community Engagement
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Philanthropy
- Operations and Planning
- UMB Police Department
- President's Office
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
- Students must submit a graduation application through SURFS by the stated deadline for the term they are planning to graduate.
|Graduation Term||Submission begin date||Submission deadline date|
|Fall 2019||August 1, 2019||September 9, 2019|
|Spring 2020||November 1, 2019||February 10, 2020|
|Summer 2020||April 1, 2020||June 15, 2020|
|Fall 2020||June 1, 2020||September 14, 2020|
- Dual-degree students, or students receiving more than one degree/certificate for the same term, must complete a graduation application for each degree/certificate they expect to receive.
- Students who submitted a graduation application but are later removed from the applicant/candidate list by their school/program are required to submit a new graduation application for the next term in which they are eligible.
A campus-wide graduation ceremony is held during the month of May each year. Summer and fall graduates are welcome to participate.
Go to the University of Maryland Commencement webpage for more information.
Schools/Programs may hold separate graduation ceremonies for their graduates. For more information, contact the Student Affairs or Records and Registration Office in your School/Program.
WHEN WILL MY DEGREE BE POSTED ON MY TRANSCRIPT?
Approximately 2 weeks after the end of the semester or when your School/Program certifies you to graduate.
WHEN WILL I RECEIVE MY DIPLOMA/CERTIFICATE?
SPRING (MAY) GRADUATES
- Diplomas can be claimed in-person at the University Commencement ceremony at the Royal Farms Arena. Unclaimed diplomas can be picked up from the Office of the Registrar (HS/HSL, Suite 240) during a three-week period following the Commencement ceremony. Unclaimed diplomas after three weeks will be mailed to the address provided on the graduation application.
- Latin Honors: Students who are awarded Latin Honors can expect to receive their updated diploma mailed to the address provided on the graduation application by MID-JULY.
- Certificates: Students who are awarded a certificate can expect to receive their certificate mailed to the address provided on the graduation application by MID-JULY.
SUMMER (JULY) GRADUATES
Diplomas/Certificates will be mailed to the address provided on the graduation application by MID-SEPTEMBER.
FALL (DECEMBER) GRADUATES
Diplomas/Certificates will be mailed to the address provided on the graduation application by EARLY FEBRUARY.
NOTE: Students with an outstanding financial obligation will not receive their diplomas/certificates. For more information, contact the Office of the Registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org.
HOW IS MY NAME DISPLAYED ON THE DIPLOMA?
- The name on your diploma will be your official name as it appears on University records. You can view your official name by logging into SURFS. Note: Professional designations (e.g. JD, MD, etc.) will not be included after your name.
- If you would like to request a name that is different from what appears on the University records, you can submit a Request to Change Personal Information, by logging into SURFS. If you have questions about using another name, please contact the Office of the Registrar at email@example.com.
Students may claim diploma in-person at the University Commencement at the Royal Farms Arena.
Diplomas not claimed at that time may be picked up from the Office of the Registrar during a three-week window following the commencement ceremony. A valid photo ID is necessary to claim your diploma.
If you are not able to pick up your diploma and would like someone else to pick up your diploma on your behalf, complete and follow the instructions on the Diploma Pick-up Authorization Form.
Diplomas left unclaimed at the end of three-weeks, will be mailed to the address provided on the graduation application.
Diplomas with Latin honors designations (or other honor designations) will be mailed approximately 8-12 weeks after graduation or after the date in which you were certified to graduate, whichever occurs later.
SUMMER and FALL GRADUATES
There is no opportunity for SUMMER and FALL graduates to claim their diploma in person. Your diploma will be mailed to the address provided on the graduation application approximately 8-12 weeks after graduation.
All certificates will be mailed to the address provided on the graduation application approximately 8-12 weeks after graduation or after the date in which you were certified to graduate, whichever occurs later.
To order a replacement diploma, complete the Request for Reissued Diploma/Certificate.
Fee: A fee of $55 is charged for each reissued diploma (14-inch width by 11-inch height); a fee of $45 is charged for each reissued certificate (11-inch width by 8.5-inch height).
Processing time: 8-12 weeks
A replacement diploma or certificate will carry all information contained in the original except all the signatories will be current University officers. The style and size of the document will also reflect the current standards in place at the time your request is fulfilled.
A request for a change of name on the diploma/certificate will only be honored if legal documentation is provided. Please contact the Office of the Registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Please contact your School/Program Records and Registration Office to obtain graduation invitation letters.