Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) Procedures

Report a Work-related Incident or Illness

Research, Environmental Health and Safety   |   Approved May 14, 2015


Report a work-related injury or illness and complete appropriate documentation.


Employees and volunteers on campus requiring medical care for a work-related injury or illness.  If the employee or volunteer covered under Maryland's workers compensation system chooses not to use the on campus services, they may also seek treatment from a health care provider of their choice. However, they must still file an Employee’s First Report of Injury.

If you are a student requiring medical care, please seek assistance with the Student Health Center.


  1. Notify supervisor of the injury or exposure.
  2. Employee or volunteer must complete the appropriate first report of injury form,
    1. Faculty or staff should complete the following form: Employee First Report of Injury (Employee First Report of Injury) or (Online Form).
    2. Faculty or staff working outside of Maryland should complete the following form: Out of State Employee First Report of Injury (Out of State Employee First Report of Injury).
    3. Volunteers should complete the following form: Volunteer First Report of Injury (Online Form).
  3. Supervisor must complete an investigation report.
  4. Any witnesses should complete Accident Witness Statement.
  5. Regardless of whether medical treatment is required, any work-related injuries or illnesses should be reported to Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) within three (3) days of the incident.
Fill out my online form.