Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) Procedures

Receive Medical Treatment for a Work-related Injury

Research, Environmental Health and Safety   |   Approved June 20, 2019


Receive medical treatment for a work-related injury or illness at University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB).


Only for employees and volunteers on campus requiring emergency care for a work-related injury or illness.  If the employees or volunteer covered under Maryland's workers compensation system chooses not to use the on campus services, they may also seek treatment from a health care provider of their choice. 

If you are a student requiring medical care, please seek assistance with the Student Health Center.


Business Hours: Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.

  1. After notifying your supervisor, determine if the situation is an emergency.
    1. For an injury or illness requiring emergency care, dial 91 and request emergency transportation.
    2. For non-emergency care, proceed directly to the UMaryland Immediate Care Center (UMICC) located at 408 W. Lombard Street. The Immediate Care Center phone number is (667) 214-1899. No appointment is necessary.
  2. Take a copy of the Employee’s First Report of Injury form with you to ensure you are not billed for the visit. The Employee’s First Report of Injury form is available online.

After Hours: Monday through Friday 5 p.m. to 7 a.m., weekdays and holidays

  • General Treatment: Medical care from the UMMC Emergency Room, your personal physician, or a local hospital.

Out of state medical treatment

  1. If you work for UMB outside of Maryland, review and complete the out of state first report of injury form.  Additional instructions are contained on the form.
  2. Advise the health care provider that you are seeking treatment for a workers' compensation claim and provide them with the carrier's name and policy number referenced on the first report of injury form.
  3. Retain paperwork for your records.
Fill out my online form.