Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) Procedures

Radioactive Materials Procurement

Research, Environmental Health and Safety   |   Approved May 14, 2015


Procure or transfer radiological materials and approval from Radiation Safety Office for research on campus.


Primary Investigators, student, or staff member whose duties include work with radioactive materials.  No radioactive material can be procured until proper prior authorizations is received through the Radiation Safety Office.


Radioactive Materials Procurement

  1. Authorized User must contact EHS and obtain a control number prior to ordering material. EHS will review approval status and provide requisition number for purchase.
  2. Unless otherwise approved by the Radiation Safety Office, all radioactive materials destined for the University must be received by the Radiation Safety Office. Ensure radioactive material orders are delivered to the Office of Environmental Health and Safety, 714 West Lombard, Baltimore, MD 21201.
  3. When placing the order with the vendor, instruct the vendor to  include the Authorized User’s name and the requisition number on the package.  Packages without the Authorized User’s name may  be returned to the vendor as an unauthorized purchase.
  4. EHS will evaluate the  package for contamination upon arrival and notify the lab that it is ready to be picked up.

Transfer of Radioactive Materials

  1. Transfer of Radioactive Material from the University to Other Recipients:
    1. The Authorized User of radioactive material must notify the Radiation Safety Officer of the proposed transfer and provide evidence that the recipient is licensed by the NRC, an agreement state and/or the relevant regulatory authority to receive that radioactive material.
    2. The radioactive material must be delivered to the Radiation Safety Officer along with a description of the article, such as the nature of radionuclides, the chemical form, the quantity (activity), the name, address, license number and phone number of the addressee.
    3. EHS will package and ship the radioactive materials to the recipient in accordance with the US Department of transportation regulations.
  2. Transfer of Radioactive Materials between Authorized Users on campus:
    1. Contact Radiation Safety officer for approval and follow all applicable requirements.
    2. Provide the Radiation Safety Officer with the inventory number, radionuclide, activity and recipient name.
    3. Inventory paperwork will be created for the recipient Authorized User for the radioactive materials.
Fill out my online form.