- Academic Affairs
- Accountability and Compliance
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Community Engagement
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Philanthropy
- Operations and Planning
- UMB Police Department
- President's Office
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
Office of International Services (OIS) Procedures
Sponsor an H-1B Exchange Visitor
File petition to employ a non-U.S. citizen in a specialty occupation.
Departments seeking to hire a specialty occupation and sponsor an employee under an H-1B visa. A specialty occupation is one that requires the theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge in a field of study. The position must require at least a Bachelor’s degree.
For additional information contact the Office of International Services (OIS).
- Make sure you or someone in your department has access to Sunapsis, the online system for submitting visa sponsorship requests. Learn how to Become a Sunapsis User.
- Determine employment status:
- For individuals already employed and/or appointed in your department, proceed to 4.
- For individuals not currently employed by UMB, conduct recruitment as required by university policy and issue an offer letter to the prospective employee.
- For new scholar fellow or faculty hires, follow appropriate procedures in your department or school to request an academic appointment.
- Log into Sunapsis and follow the instructions to Add a New Person
- Log into Sunapsis and click on the H-1B Employee Request under Department Services. If you need the Sunapsis/University ID for the employee, contact firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of the employee. (The Sunapsis/University ID is NOT the employee ID in HRIS).
- Submit all four required e-forms in the H-1B Employee Request.
- Once OIS receives the alert for the complete request, the office will:
- Conduct a Prevailing Wage Analysis.
- The OIS will draft a Labor Condition Application (LCA) for posting.
- The OIS will email the employing department contact with the LCA and instructions to reply via email with the positing start date, end date, and two locations of the postings.
- At this point in the process, the department should request the filing fee checks and drop them off at the Office of International Services
- Upon receipt of a certified LCA from the Department of Labor, the OIS will prepare and file an H-1B petition with U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (UCSIS).
- OIS will send a copy of the UCSIS receipt notice indicating whether employment is authorized.
- OIS will notify the employee and the department when an approval is received.