- Academic Affairs
- Accountability and Compliance
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Community Engagement
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Philanthropy
- Operations and Planning
- Police and Public Safety
- President's Office
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
Financial Affairs Policies
UMB WORK AND LEAVE RECORDS (TIMESHEETS)
Financial Affairs | Approved April 1, 2016
Applies to Staff, Faculty
Effective Date: April 1, 2016
- This policy establishes the requirement for recording time worked and leave taken for employees paid by the University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) in accordance with University System of Maryland (USM), State of Maryland, and/or United States Department of Labor (DOL) requirements. This policy addresses the requirements of USM Policy II -2.30 for Faculty Timekeeping and the requirements of USM Policy VII 6-10 concerning a time reporting system for regular exempt employees.
- Employees of UMB must certify their work or use of leave by submitting a positive work and leave record on an approved timesheet form on a biweekly basis. Each timesheet must be submitted within a reasonable time period after the end of the biweekly pay period. Each timesheet must be evaluated by authorized personnel, approved following any needed corrections, and retained for a minimum of five years (or more if required by the employee's sources of funding.) Different work and leave reporting requirements may be established for each employee class pursuat to DOL, State, and USM requirements.
- All UMB employees; Authorized Affiliate Employees
- Employees - Includes (but is not limited to) all types (regular, contingent Iand contingent II) and classes (faculty, staff, students, post-doctoral fellows) of people who receive compensation from UMB through the State of Maryland Central Payroll Bureau.
- Employee class (empl class) - A sub-category of employees that is used by the State of Maryland and USM to categorize employees based on common application of labor laws, fringe benefit eligibility, and university or state policies. Every employee in the UMB payroll system is assigned to a specific empl class for each job the employee holds.
- Authorized Affiliate Employee - A person employed by an entity that has a relationship with UMB authorized by the Board of Regents or by law, e.g., faculty practice plan organizations, University of Maryland Baltimore Foundation (UMBF) and other affiliated foundations, recognized incorporated alumni associations, affiliate business entities, University of Maryland Medical System/University of Maryland Medical Center, and other University System of Maryland institutions. An Authorized Affiliate Employee is responsible for the administration and reporting of UMB resources.
- Applies to all UMB employees and to Authorized Affiliate Employees having assigned roles in time reporting for UMB employees. Certain employee groups may be excluded if allowed by USM, State of Maryland, and/or DOL. All exclusions will be documented in the procedure implementing this policy.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- The Department of Financial Services under the direction of the Chief Business and Finance Officer (CBFO) is responsible for establishing procedures to implement this policy. UMB Financial Services Standard Operating Procedure No. 3317 Work and Leave Records (SOP 3317) has been established for this purpose. All UMB personnel and Authorized Affiliate Employees are required to follow SOP 3317.
- The head of each UMB department is responsible for ensuring that timesheets for department employees are completed, evaluated, revised as needed, and approved following any needed changes, in accordance with SOP 3317.
- Each employee is responsible for ensuring that timesheets are completed in a timely and accurate manner, following the provisions of applicable leave policies and the provisions of SOP 3317 for the applicable employee class.
- Each supervisor or other designated administrator is responsible for evaluating timesheets promptly and verifying their accuracy, following any needed changes, in accordance with SOP 3317. When an employee is on extended leave, the supervisor or another designated administrator may complete timesheets for the employee.
- An employee who falsifies hours/days worked or misuses leave taken may be subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment and/or criminal action.
- An employee who violates this policy (e.g., by recurring failure to timely or accurately complete, evaluate or approve timesheets) may be subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment and/or criminal prosecution.
- An Authorized Affiliate Employee who does not follow this policy may be removed from any role in UMB time reporting procedures and other fiscal roles on behalf of UMB.
Exceptions / Request Process
- Exceptions to this policy must be approved in writing by the CBFO. Requests may be submitted to the Controller using the Policy or Procedure Exception Form . Alternatively, a request may be submitted in the form of a memo to the CBFO. Requests must be signed by the Dean/Vice President or the Dean's/Vice President's designee (i.e., an Associate Dean/AVP).
Fill out my online form.