Admission Information

How do I apply to UMB? 

To apply to the Univeristy of Maryland, Baltimore.

Click on the links below to visit each school's admission pages:

What is the eligibility criteria for international students? 

International students who require F-1 or J1 visa sponsorship to attend the University of Maryland, Baltimore must demonstrate English proficiency and financial responsibility before the OIS can issue the appropriate visa document for your program of study.

English proficiency

International students requiring visa sponsorship from the OIS must demonstrate English proficiency. Proficiency is most often verified through the TOEFL or IELTS English language proficiency tests. For students whose native language is English, there is no need to take a proficiency test. To find the minimum acceptable score for your anticipated program, please access the schools' admission links.

Financial responsibility

International students requiring visa sponsorship must ensure they have sufficient funding to cover the cost of the program and living expenses while in Baltimore. See an estimated cost of attendance for the minimum amount of financial support required. 

Financial responsibility may be proved by a variety of methods. These include the following:

  • Personal or family funds
  • Government or international organization sponsorship
  • A UMB Graduate Assistantship

The documentation must state the name of the person or organization that will sponsor the student and specify the amount of the financial support provided to the student.

If using personal or family funds, a bank statement from within the past six months must be provided. Additionally, if receiving financial support from a friend or family member, that person also must write a letter specifying the exact amount of funding they will provide to you during your program.

The expenses of a married student are considerably more than that of a single student. In addition to funds for their own expenses, the married student must show an additional $11,220 per year for a dependent spouse and an additional $7,200 per year for a dependent child. A dependent is classified as a spouse and/or children under the age of 21.

Before processing visa paperwork, the OIS requires evidence of the minimum financial support amount committed to your education. 

Health insurance

Health insurance is required for all UMB students. You must prove that you have coverage equivalent to UMB's minimum requirements, or purchase the policy offered by UMB to all students. This cost is included in the tuition estimate.

What is the cost of attendance? 

Proof of financial support must be given to the OIS before any I-20 or DS-2019 can be processed.

  • F-1 students are required to show Proof of Financial Support of tuition + fees + local living expenses for one 12-month period.
  • J-1 students are required to show Proof of Financial Support of tuition + fees + local living expenses for each year of the program.
  • This can be in UMB salary, home country government/institutional funding, or personal/family funds.
  • I-20 / DS-2019 Issuance for Dependents: A dependent is defined as a spouse and/or children under the age of 21. The OIS must see an additional $11,220 for a spouse and $7,200 for each child before visa documents will be issued.
  • Home country/institutional funding requires an official letter stating the exact amount of support from the agency or institution providing the funding source.
  • Personal funds require a current, translated bank statement (within the past six months).     
    If another person will be providing financial support (i.e., a family member), the OIS will need to see a translated bank statement (within the past six months) from that person, along with a letter specifying the amount of support they will provide you during your studies.

All estimates for the cost of attendance can be found on the Financial Aid website. Please contact Financial Aid directly with questions regarding the cost of attendance for your program for a year.

What citizenship status should I put on the application?  

You should select your current nonimmigrant visa type from the drop-down, or the nonimmigrant visa type you plan obtain to study.  

  • If you are the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) Applicant, Undocumented Applicant or you cannot find your nonimmigrant classification from the selection, select "Other" under "Select your citizenship status," 
  • If you are going to enroll in an online program from outside the U.S., select Overseas Online Student” under "Select your citizenship status"