“Today’s assembly, this convocation, is the birth of a new tradition at UMB.”
With that, Roger J. Ward, EdD, JD, MSL, MPA, provost, executive vice president, and dean of the Graduate School, welcomed attendees to the first University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) Faculty Convocation on Sept. 8 under a massive 14,600-square-foot tent on Koester’s Lot.
“It is an opportunity for the faculty from each of UMB’s schools to gather in fellowship with one another to celebrate the beginning of the academic year,” Ward continued. “It is well understood that an institution is only as excellent as its faculty. UMB is an excellent university. It is therefore only fitting that we take time today to recognize and celebrate those who make us so, our faculty.”
The program, which can be viewed in its entirety in the video above, welcomed faculty to a new academic year and recognized UMB’s Distinguished University Professors:
- Leslie Costello, PhD, professor, Department of Oncology and Diagnostic Sciences, University of Maryland School of Dentistry
- Diane Hoffmann, JD, MS, Jacob A. France Professor of Health Care Law and director, Law and Health Care Program, University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law
- Robert Percival, JD, MA, Robert F. Stanton Professor of Law and director, Environmental Law Program, Maryland Carey Law
- Barbara Resnick, PhD, RN, CRNP, FAAN, FAANP, professor, Department of Organizational Systems and Adult Health; co-director, Biology and Behavior Across the Lifespan Organized Research Center; and Sonya Ziporkin Gershowitz Chair in Gerontology, University of Maryland School of Nursing (UMSON)
- Dudley Strickland, PhD, professor, Department of Surgery; associate dean for graduate and postdoctoral studies; and director, Center for Vascular and Inflammatory Diseases, University of Maryland School of Medicine (UMSOM) (Unable to attend).
- Peter Swaan, PhD, professor and chair, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, and associate dean for research and advanced graduate studies, University of Maryland School of Pharmacy (UMSOP)
- Stefanie Vogel, PhD, professor, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, UMSOM
Faculty and their guests also heard from three expert speakers, whose riveting speeches rivaled any on a TED Talk stage.
- Maneka Sinha, JD, associate professor, Maryland Carey Law, speaking about “faulty forensics.”
- Yolanda Ogbolu, PhD, RN, CRNP, associate professor and chair, Department of Partnerships, Professional Education, and Practice, UMSON, discussing the health impacts of social isolation.
- Mary Lynn McPherson, PharmD, MA, MDE, BCPS, CPE, professor and executive director of Advanced Post-Graduate Education in Palliative Care, UMSOP, discussing the importance of palliative care.
View a photo gallery below.