- Academic Affairs
- Accountability and Compliance
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Community Engagement
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Philanthropy
- Operations and Planning
- Police and Public Safety
- President's Office
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
Human Resources Policies
UMB POLICY ON JURY SERVICE FOR REGULAR NONEXEMPT AND EXEMPT STAFF EMPLOYEES
- All regular employees working 50% or more of a full-time schedule are eligible for leave. Employees working less than 50% of full-time who are not eligible for paid leave may be given the option of an unpaid absence or of working on another day.
- Employees should advise their supervisors immediately upon notification of jury service and of their selection to serve on a jury. While the failure to notify the supervisor may not be the basis to deny leave for jury service, it may be cause for administrative/disciplinary action for failure to provide proper notice of the requested leave.
- Employees have the right to serve on a jury, however, if the employee agrees that operational needs and the public interest require them to be excused from serving on a jury, then the appointing authority or designee may request the appropriate judge to excuse the employee.
- An eligible employee who serves a full day on a jury is excused from duty for that day regardless of what hours the employee is scheduled to work.
- Employees dismissed for the day after reporting for jury duty, are required, if time permits, to return to the job. Failure to return to the job in these circumstances may be considered an unauthorized absence and may be cause for administrative/disciplinary action.
- The leave taken must be recorded on the employee's official timekeeping records.
- Questions regarding jury service should be directed to the Employee/Labor Relations, Human Resource Services.
Fill out my online form.
The University of Maryland, Baltimore is the founding campus of the University System of Maryland.
620 W. Lexington St., Baltimore, MD 21201 | 410-706-3100
© 2017-2018 University of Maryland, Baltimore. All rights reserved.