On-Campus Employment

On-campus employment means the student is paid by UMB and works on campus. J-1 students who are maintaining status are eligible to work on campus. The student may be employed in a student hourly position or in an assistantship.

If you plan to accept an on-campus part-time job, please stop by the OIS with the offer letter. We will need a copy for your file and will also stamp the letter with our approval for the on-campus employment.

These are the conditions under which a student in J-1 status may work on campus:

  • The student is enrolled full-time.
  • The student will not work more than 20 hours per week during the academic year.
  • The student may work full-time only during official university breaks. Due to the different calendars across the institution, please consult the OIS about when the student is allowed to work full-time.
  • The OIS must approve the specific employment in advance and in writing.

If you are completing your degree requirements, you may not work on campus past the end of your final semester.