Psychiatric Services

The Student Counseling Center provides limited psychiatric services to students who are seen at our center. If you are currently taking medication by another provider, please be sure you have enough medication (at least 30 days) to last until you are able to meet with a doctor. Our physicians do not prescribe refills to students not under our care.  

If you are seeking psychiatric services from us, you must first schedule an Initial Assessment with one of our counselors. If our treatment team determines that SCC is an appropriate setting for your treatment, we will schedule you with one of our psychiatrists. Wait time can vary from one to three weeks after the Initial Assessment.  

If our counselors determine that your care would best be managed by an outside provider in the community, we will help you find a doctor using our referral assistance services.

If you are referred to one of our doctors and medication is prescribed, the doctor will continue to meet with you until your symptoms are stable and medication refills are routine (usually three to six months). At that point, your care will be transferred to Student Health or to a community provider for ongoing routine care.


  • Students who receive medication management services at SCC must participate in counseling with a SCC counselor or an SCC-approved outside therapist. If you wish to receive medication only, we will assist you with finding an outside provider.
  • UMB physicians are not authorized to prescribe or manage conditions for which medical cannabis is indicated. In such cases, your care will be referred to an outside specialist.
  • Controlled substances are NOT prescribed by our physicians with few exceptions.
  • Current clients who need medication refills should first call your pharmacist who will then contact us.
  • If you are graduating within two months, your care will be referred to an outside provider due to the limited time available for our doctors to adjust medications.

Responsible Use of Medication

Once prescribed, it is important that you take your medication regularly to get maximum benefit. Missed doses or failure to comply with prescription directions can lead to relapse symptoms and/or withdrawal discomfort. If you have concerns about your medication, please consult your psychiatrist before stopping medication on your own. It also is important to monitor your prescription supply to prevent running out of medication. Be sure to schedule your next medication visit at least one week in advance of using your last dose.

Use of Stimulant Medication for ADHD treatment

To be eligible for stimulant medication (Adderall, Vyvanse, Concerta, Ritalin, or generic varieties) from the Student Counseling Center, a student must provide documentation of psycho-educational testing that has been administered within the last five years that confirms a diagnosis of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) or a similar neurodevelopemental diagnosis. This evaluation must meet the criteria outlined in our ADHD Documentation Guidelines. Please call us for a phone triage if you have any questions about these guidelines or if you need referrals for psychological testing. Referral assistance for off campus providers can be provided for any student whose clinical needs fall outside our scope of services.

Use of Alcohol and Recreational Drugs

Use of alcohol, narcotics, hallucinogens, stimulants, cannabis, or other psychoactive substances (whether prescribed or recreational) can interfere with the therapeutic benefits of the medication we prescribe. In some cases, these substances can cause worsening of symptoms and/or dangerous interactions with psychiatric medications. Please speak to your psychiatrist about any substances you are using. If the psychiatrist determines it is unsafe to prescribe medications to you because of substance use and you are unable to reduce or stop taking the substances, we will refer you to an outside provider for specialized treatment and support. The Student Counseling Center can assist you with such referrals.  Find more resources on the Substance Use Resource page.