- Academic Affairs
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Development and Alumni Relations
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Community Engagement
- Operations and Planning
- Office of the President
- Police and Public Safety
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
Town Hall Ramps Up New Strategic Plan
May 19, 2016
More than a hundred people turned out for a town hall on May 18 to offer their suggestions on goals that when finalized will form the foundation of UMB’s 2017-2021 strategic plan.
Planning Process, Committee, and Themes
- Develop strategic plan themes and high-level goals based on:
- UMB mission, vision, core values
- Middle States self-study goals, president’s goals, USM goals, current strategic planning goals, schools' strategic goals, others
- Involve deans, VPs, shared governance councils, local community, UMMC/UMMS, key members of schools' Board of Visitors, UMB Foundation, local associations, others
- Universitywide feedback/input sessions on themes and goals
- Draft goals
- Draft plan
- Finalize and adopt plan
- Design implementation plan
Steering Committee - 23 Members
- All seven schools represented
- Central administration
- Faculty Senate
- Staff Senate
- Student Senate
- 12 faculty
- 10 staff
- One student
Logistics Committee – 8 Members
- Institute for Genome Science
- Operations and Planning
- Human Resources
- Academic and Student Affairs
Roles and Responsibilities
Develop a plan that is objective and action-oriented to direct, anchor, and define UMB for the next five years.
- Develop and recommend to UMB’s executive leadership the strategic Themes and Goals that will form the core of the 2017 – 2021 plan.
- Engage our faculty, staff, students, partners, and communities in a transparent process to receive input and feedback on the strategic Themes and Goals.
- Suggest ways in which members of the University community may play an active role in monitoring and assessing the effectiveness of the plan’s implementation over the next five years.
Theme 1 - Health, Justice, and Social Impact
Objective: Deepen local engagement and expand global impact by providing health, legal, and social work services and programs that promote social justice and reduce health disparities.
Theme 2 - Scholarship and Discovery
Objective: Harness the power of scholarship for discovery and innovation in the search for solutions to complex problems impacting the human condition.
Theme 3 - Innovative Teaching and Learning
Objective: Design a contemporary teaching and learning environment to ensure that students receive education and training that distinguishes them as professionals and leaders in society.
Theme 4 - Inclusive Excellence
Objective: Sustain an environment that recognizes and values each member of the University community, enabling members to function at their highest potential to achieve their personal and professional goals.
Theme 5 - Partnership and Collaboration
Objective: Strengthen internal and external affiliations to leverage complementary expertise and purposes to maximize impact to benefit the people of the State and society at large.
Theme 6 - Efficiency, Effectiveness, and Assessment
Objective: Institutionalize efficiency, effectiveness, and assessment to make more responsible and impactful use of University resources.