PCard Purchases 
The Corporate Purchasing Card (PCard) is designed to simplify the purchasing of goods and services costing $4,999 or less. To request a purchase with a PCard, please submit a Financials Transaction Request.


The PCard states that UMB is sales tax exempt. All in-state and many out-of-state vendors honor this exemption. If required by the vendor, a copy of UMB’s tax-exempt certificate may be provided. 


All PCards have a $4,999 Single Purchase Limit. “Splitting” purchases to circumvent this limit is strictly prohibited. 


The State prohibits certain Merchant Category Codes (MCCs) from PCard use. These restrictions will be automatically invoked if applicable during the purchase authorization process. A full list of blocked MCCs can be found here. Examples include, but are not limited to, the following:  

  • Money: Wire Transfers, Financial Institutions, Security Brokers, etc. Cash Advances are Strictly Prohibited.  
  • Transportation: Airlines, Railroads, Buses, Tolls, and Bridges, etc.  
  • Personal Services: Beauty and Barber Shops, Tax Preparations, Counseling Services, etc.  
  • Entertainment: Motion Picture Theaters, Amusement Parks, Recreation Services, etc.  
  • Miscellaneous: Package Goods Stores (Beer, Wine, and Liquor), Duty-Free Stores, etc.  
  • Dining: Restaurants, Bars/Lounges, and Fast Food. Note: Catering may be allowable when necessary to conduct UMB business, but the transaction will be declined unless the vendor is designated as a Caterer (MCC #5811)  

The following types of transactions will not be automatically rejected if purchased on the card, but are prohibited and will be monitored for compliance:  

  • Gift Cards are not to be purchased with the PCard. If you use your State-issued PCard to buy gift cards, your card will be canceled immediately.  
  • Gifts, rewards, contributions, and donations (e.g., retirement gifts, flowers for co-workers or relatives, holiday cards and gifts).  
  • Fines and tickets (e.g., speeding, parking) 
  • Personal use items (e.g., coffee, paper plates, food, utensils) not related to UMB business.  
  • Memberships: Cardholders are prohibited from purchasing a store membership (e.g., Costco, Sam’s Club and BJ’s Wholesale Club) with their purchasing card. When a cardholder signs up for an account with a company (e.g., Amazon), a separate account is to be used. A cardholder may not use their personal account for State business. 

Several categories of purchases are allowable on the PCard but are subject to requirements and limitations imposed by additional policies. Examples include, but are not limited to, the following:  

  • Catering: Food purchases for events with an allowable business purpose may be allowable on the PCard. However, these purchases must follow UMB’s Food Policy and Procedures and must be pre-approved with a signed Food Approval Form. For example, purchases must be well documented with the purpose of the function and list of attendees by name and affiliation. Events that are primarily social in nature (e.g., retirement and holiday parties) are not allowable. Costs for alcoholic beverages may not be included under any circumstances.  
  • Travel: Certain expenses for authorized business travel, such as hotel and rental car charges, may be allowable on the PCard. However, these expenses must comply with all aspects of UMB’s Travel Policy and Procedures. For example, hotel charges must be supported by an approved copy of the applicable Travel Request eForm, and may not include incidentals (e.g., room service, minibar, movie rentals).  
  • Furniture: State regulations require UMB to purchase furniture from Maryland Correctional Enterprises 
  • Moving Expenses: Payment of Employee Moving and Relocation Expenses is processed via Payroll and is never permitted on the PCard.  
  • Non-Capital Assets: Certain equipment purchases are subject to UMB’s Non-Capital Asset (NCA) Policy and Procedures.  

Office Supply and Business Card Purchasing 

General Office Supplies 

Office supplies can be purchased from the University-contracted vendors, AJ Stationer’s or Rudolph Supply. To request an office supply purchase, please submit a Financial Transaction Request with direct links to the items you wish to purchase.  

Stationary and Business Cards 

Stationery and business cards can be purchased from the University-contracted printing vendor, Strategic Factory. The approved printer has the design templates for business cards, letterhead, envelopes, and campus maps. You do NOT need to provide the printer with any templates. Please be ready with the following information when placing your print orders: 

  • School or center if applicable 
  • Name and degrees (master's level and above only) 
  • Job title or titles (maximum of two titles) 
  • Department, office, or program 
  • Office, fax, and/or cellphone numbers 
  • Email address 
  • Physical address 
  • URL  

To place an order, please submit the order directly through the Strategic Factory website. If you are not a PCard holder, please complete the “Billing Code Information” section at checkout to have an invoice sent to you. Once the invoice has been received, submit the invoice using the Financial Transaction Request for final payment.

Furniture Purchases 

In accordance with the State and University System Procurement Policies and Procedures, all furniture must be purchased from Maryland Correctional Enterprises(MCE) unless a waiver is requested and granted by MCE. Typically, it takes 90 days for the delivery of some furniture. However, MCE does have some items on their quick ship program.

Furniture is defined as a physical good that will remain in a space. Examples of furniture include desks, chairs, stools, shelving, cabinets, rolling carts & tables.  

Please contact the Provost-Finance team for your furniture needs early in the process. If unsure if an item requires a waiver, please consult with our team. It is strictly prohibited to purchase furniture with the Corporate Purchasing Card from any entity other than MCE unless a waiver has been obtained.

Invoice Payments 
Invoices for payment against an established Purchase Order

Once goods and/or services have been rendered, a vendor will issue an invoice for payment. To request payment of this invoice, please submit the invoice using the Financial Transaction Request. 

To ensure timely payment, please submit invoices promptly to the Provost-Finance team and verify that the invoice includes the following: 

  • UMB name and address 
  • Invoice number  
  • Invoice date 
  • Purchase order (PO Number) 
  • Invoice total/amount due 
  • Line details 
  • Remit-to address 

Interest Payments to Vendors 

In accordance with the Md. STATE FINANCE AND PROCUREMENT Code Ann. §§ 15-104, 15-105, and 15-222, vendors may be entitled to interest on late invoice payments if: 

  • The invoice is due and payable by law and written under the procurement contract; and 
  • The invoice remains unpaid more than 45 days after receipt of goods or services; and 
  • The vendor submits an invoice for the interest within 30 days after the date of the State’s check. 

Interest charges incurred due to late payments will be charged to the Operational Unit/Department.  

Used as a token of appreciation where no fee is legally required, and not as a contractual obligation to pay for services rendered.

An honorarium is customarily used as a one-time payment made to an individual who is not an employee of the University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB). Honorarium payments are regarded as special payments made for non-recurring activities or events to recognize and or acknowledge the contribution of gratuitous services to UMB.

An honorarium cannot be used to pay individuals where there is a contractual agreement for services already agreed upon through the University's procurement office.  

Honorarium Determination 

Consider the following, but not limited to the below examples, when assessing whether a payment should be considered an Honorarium: 

  • Are the services recurring? 
  • Is the individual an employee of the University? 
  • Is there a contractual agreement? 
  • Did the individual set the price? 
  • Is the individual a USM employee?
  • Is the individual not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident?           
  • Was the payment *negotiated* between the individual and the University? 
  • Has the individual received honoraria payments from UMB within the last year?

*Answering “YES” to the above VOIDS this payment option of qualifying as an Honorarium* 

If “yes,” please consider another payment option PCard or Purchase Order.

Eligible Parties for Honorariums 

Typically, Honorariums are individuals who are considered non-employees. Individuals chosen by the respective department to give a lecture, or someone chosen to present on a subject that they are presumed knowledgeable. The following list includes, but is not limited to, examples of eligible parties that can receive Honorariums: 

  • Speaking Engagement 
  • Guest Speaker/Lecturers  
  • Other Creative activity 

Required documentation for Processing 

To avoid processing delays for any Honorarium payment, the following items/information is required: 

  • Memo on department letterhead that describes the purpose of the payment; or Department Form on Department letterhead that describes the purpose of the payment.  This should be given to the recipient prior to the engagement.  
  • Signed Honorarium Recipient Form. Given to the recipient after the event, to confirm services were provided.  
  • Completed W-9 form from the IRS website 
  • Once all documentation is obtained, submit a Financial Request Form and select “Honorarium” as your method of payment 

Payment Processing 

After the event is completed, please allow up to 21 business days for the state to process a check to the recipient. 

Stipends and Awards 
A stipend or award is a payment, or series of payments, to an individual that represents an allowance for the cost of living while the individual performs research, training, or other activities. These are typically paid to interns, trainees, or students.

Recipient cannot be a UMB employee.  

Recipient cannot be a business entity. A business entity can be identified by the name of the payee or by the tax identification number (TIN). If the TIN begins with two numbers (e.g. 52-), the recipient is a business.  

Recipient cannot be a consultant or other professional whose primary source of income is generated from the service provided to UMB. 

To request a stipend or award payment be issued to an individual, please complete a Financial Transaction Request form and include the following information: 

  • Letter to individual detailing award or stipend that includes payment amount, recipient’s name and address, date, awardee’s signature on letterhead.  
  • Completed W-9 

Employee Business Expense Reimbursements 
UMB employees may incur out-of-pocket costs to purchase necessary supplies or other items to perform their duties or to support UMB business activities when other methods of purchase are not available.

These business-related expenses must be pre-approved by the employee's supervisor. This pre-approval may be in the form of an email, a form, or other documentation.  

Types of expenses that can be processed

Object               Description 


Food Reimbursements (for pre-approved events) 


Business Meals (meals for non-employees) 


Employee Development and Training (registrations and courses/seminars only) 




Association Dues 


Submitting a Business Expense Reimbursement

To submit an employee business expense reimbursement for yourself, please follow the directions found in this Concur tutorial. If the expense type is outside of the object codes listed above, the reimbursement must be submitted via a NONPO State Invoice. Please use the a Financial Transaction Form to request a NONPO payment. 



Foundation Payment Requests 


Complete and submit a Financial Request Form

  • Please include Foundation Account Number 
  • Provide a detailed payment purpose with explanation or reason for the purpose for which the funds will be used 

Unallowable Foundation Request 

  • Personal Expenses 
  • Questionable Itemsthose that may give perception or misuse of charitable funds 
  • Donations to other charitable organizations 
  • Payment to employees  

Required Documentation for Processing 

To avoid processing delays for any Foundation payment, the following items/information is required: 

  • W-9 Form 
  • Invoice(s) from vendor on company letterhead addressed to the University of Maryland, Baltimore showing final dollar amount 
  • Payments to individuals for contracted services must include: 
    • Hourly rate  
    • Dates worked  
    • Payments to Independent Contractors require an executed contract 
  • Event Flyer for Event (usually found on The Elm) 
  • Attendee List 
  • Salary Reimbursements 
    • Quantum reports are needed — Please reach out to Provost.Finance  to obtain a copy of report 

Payment Processing 

EDRFs received at the Foundation by 4 p.m. on Wednesday will be sent to PNC on the following Friday. This means the approver must approve your EDRF by Wednesday, not just the initial submission has to be complete.