- Academic Affairs
- Accountability and Compliance
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Community Engagement
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Philanthropy
- Operations and Planning
- UMB Police Department
- President's Office
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
Information Technology Policies
UMB IT Anti-Virus Policy
Information Technology | Approved September 11, 2017
Approved September 11, 2017, Last Reviewed May 1, 2019
Incorrectly configured or absent anti-virus software on campus workstations and servers has become one of the greatest threats to the campus network community. It is imperative that we take a proactive approach in making sure that all computers connected to the campus network are properly configured and protected with anti-virus technology.
To protect every system connected to the campus network from infection by viruses, worms, trojans, and other malicious software.
This policy applies to every workstation physically (including wireless) connected to any part of the campus network.
To comply with the University System of Maryland (USM) IT Security Standards v4.0 which requires USM institutions to implement formal controls on all institutionally owned systems that store and/or access non-public information.
Standard virus protection programs must be installed, updated, and maintained on all desktop computers / laptops and servers. These programs must be:
- configured to run checks for viruses at startup and operate in memory-resident mode to check for viruses during normal processing; and
- updated as soon as updates are available from the vendor.