Office of International Services (OIS) Procedures

Internal Transfer of International Scholar

Human Resources, Office of International Services   |   Approved October 31, 2018


Arrange for the transfer of international scholars from one University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) department to another UMB department.


Departments hiring an individual already on a UMB-sponsored visa status (J-1, H-1B, TN, or E-3) from another UMB department.


    1. Ensure that the international scholar has received an offer of employment or an approved appointment in the new department.
    2. Determine the type of visa status the international scholar has and that it is sponsored by UMB. 
      1. If J-1, new department should complete the J-1 Scholar Extension/Amendment e-from and submit at least ten (10) business days prior to the start of the new appointment.
      2. If H-1B, TN, or E-3 the department should complete the Employee Amendment Questionnaire located under the “Active Scholar Reporting” link in Sunapsis.
        • OIS will either approve the transfer as is, or
        • OIS will advise on procedures for the OIS to file an amendment with USCIS.
    3. Contact the Office of International Services at x6-7488 if you have further questions.
    Fill out my online form.