- Academic Affairs
- Accountability and Compliance
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Community Engagement
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Philanthropy
- Operations and Planning
- UMB Police Department
- President's Office
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
Secure Section Log-in
Use your myUM ID username and password to log-in to the Strategic Plan secure section.
A strategic plan has been developed to make the University of Maryland, Baltimore “greater than the sum of our parts.” Created by the UMB community in 2011, the plan will shape the University for a decade.
The University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) is the state's public health, law, and human services university devoted to excellence in professional and graduate education, research, patient care, and public service.
As a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff, and students, and using state-of-the-art technological support, we educate leaders in health care delivery, biomedical science, global health, social work, and the law. We emphasize interdisciplinary education and research in an atmosphere that explicitly values civility, diversity, collaboration, teamwork, and accountability. By conducting internationally recognized research to cure disease and improve the health, social functioning, and just treatment of the people we serve, we foster economic development in the city, state, and nation. We are committed to ensuring that the knowledge we generate provides maximum benefit to society and directly enhances our communities.
Jay A. Perman, MD, former president of UMB, led the development of a Universitywide strategic plan that works to bring together our strengths and values to make us greater than the sum of our parts.
In an effort that is broadly inclusive, engaging our faculty, staff, students, partners, and communities, we have developed an innovative, forward-thinking plan to ensure that the University reaches its full potential as a leader in the changing landscape of higher education, research, service, and community engagement. We will manage our fiscal responsibilities soundly as part of our shared accountability in achieving our real-world thinking and worldwide reach. This is an action-oriented process that began in 2011 and will direct us until 2016, shaping our future for years to come.
Below is a list of eight high-level working themes that have been identified as major areas of focus for the University of Maryland, Baltimore in our forward-thinking plan to position the University as a leader in education, research, patient care, and public service.
As we continue to move forward in the process, we may find that these themes need to be refined to best meet our University’s objectives. We will post any revisions to these themes.
- Achieve pre-eminence as an innovator in our missions of education, research, clinical care, and public service.
- Promote diversity and inclusion.
- Foster a culture of accountability and transparency.
- Excel at interprofessionalism in education, research, clinical care, and public service.
- Develop local and global initiatives that address critical issues.
- Be an economic driver through entrepreneurial business development and philanthropy.
- Create a responsible and enduring financial model for the University.
- Create a dynamic university community.