- Academic Affairs
- Accountability and Compliance
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Community Engagement
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Philanthropy
- Operations and Planning
- Police and Public Safety
- President's Office
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
Sponsored Projects Procedures
Request an F&A Rate Waiver
Request authorization to use a Facilities and Administrative Cost (F&A) rate that is lower than the university’s negotiated or established rate.
Investigators and administrators preparing proposal budgets. The University of Maryland Baltimore (UMB) has an F&A rate agreement negotiated with the U.S. Government. UMB also has established rates for commercially sponsored research and clinical trials, and accepts rates stipulated by a sponsor’s published policy. Investigators who desire to use a rate lower than the applicable negotiated or established rate must obtain approval.
- Determine the applicable F&A rate for the proposal.
- The negotiated rate must be used when applying for federal funding, whether directly or as a subrecipient.
- UMB’s established rates must be used when applying for corporate funding, whether directly or as a subrecipient.
- The sponsor’s published rate must be used in other cases.
- Contact your Sponsored Programs Administration (SPA) Team for assistance with determining the applicable rate.
- Before the proposal is submitted for approval in Kuali Research, write a memo that states the applicable F&A rate for the proposal and the requested lower rate for which approval is sought. Explain why a lower rate should be approved.
- Submit the memo for approval by your Dean’s Office. The Dean’s Office may require additional information or signatures.
- Submit the memo for approval by the Chief Enterprise and Economic Development Officer and Vice President or designee.
- In Kuali Research, upload the memo with all approvals as an internal attachment.
- If the F&A waiver request is approved, investigator or department administrator will use the approved F&A rate to calculate the budget in Kuali Research. When the proposal and budget is complete, submit the proposal for approval through Kuali Research.
The University of Maryland, Baltimore is the founding campus of the University System of Maryland.
620 W. Lexington St., Baltimore, MD 21201 | 410-706-3100
© 2017-2018 University of Maryland, Baltimore. All rights reserved.