- Academic Affairs
- Accountability and Compliance
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Community Engagement
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Philanthropy
- Operations and Planning
- UMB Police Department
- President's Office
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
Sponsored Projects Procedures
Request an F&A Rate Waiver
Request authorization to use a Facilities and Administrative Cost (F&A) rate that is lower than the university’s negotiated or established rate.
Investigators and administrators preparing proposal budgets. The University of Maryland Baltimore (UMB) has an F&A rate agreement negotiated with the U.S. Government. UMB also has established rates for commercially sponsored research and clinical trials, and accepts rates stipulated by a sponsor’s published policy. Investigators who desire to use a rate lower than the applicable negotiated or established rate must obtain approval.
- Determine the applicable F&A rate for the proposal.
- The negotiated rate must be used when applying for federal funding, whether directly or as a subrecipient.
- UMB’s established rates must be used when applying for corporate funding, whether directly or as a subrecipient.
- The sponsor’s published rate must be used in other cases.
- Contact your Sponsored Programs Administration (SPA) Team for assistance with determining the applicable rate.
- Before the proposal is submitted for approval in Kuali Research, write a memo that states the applicable F&A rate for the proposal and the requested lower rate for which approval is sought. Explain why a lower rate should be approved.
- Submit the memo for approval by your Dean’s Office. The Dean’s Office may require additional information or signatures.
- Submit the memo for approval by the Chief Enterprise and Economic Development Officer and Vice President or designee.
- In Kuali Research, upload the memo with all approvals as an internal attachment.
- If the F&A waiver request is approved, investigator or department administrator will use the approved F&A rate to calculate the budget in Kuali Research. When the proposal and budget is complete, submit the proposal for approval through Kuali Research.