- Academic Affairs
- Accountability and Compliance
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Community Engagement
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Philanthropy
- Operations and Planning
- UMB Police Department
- President's Office
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
Human Resources Policies
UMB POLICY ON FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE
A request for continuous Family and Medical Leave should be made, in writing, to the school/department supervisor at least 30 calendar days in advance of the requested leave. In emergency situations, the notice requirement can be modified. Appropriate medical certification from the employee's or family member's health care provider, or legal documentation of adoption or foster care placement must accompany the request. Medical documentation should be submitted on the Certification of Physician or Practitioner form which is available upon request from Employee/Labor Relations, Human Resource Services.
- Employees are required to use accumulated paid leave prior to leave without pay. This paid leave will reduce the 12 weeks unpaid family leave allowance by the amount of paid leave used.
- When appropriate, schools/departments may offer an alternative position to an employee to accommodate a medical or scheduling need. Employees are not required to accept an alternative position and may take the leave.
- Employees may submit request for family and medical leave directly to Employee/Labor Relations, Human Resourc eServices, or to the appropriate school/department supervisor.
- If the family and medical leave request is submitted to the school/department, it shoudl be approved by the employee's school/department supervisor and a copy of the request , the school/department approval and the medical or legal documentation should be forwarded to Employee/Labor Relations, Human Resource Services, for review and approval prior to the effective date of the leave.
- A copy of the approved request indicating the reason and duration of the leave is forwarded by the Employee/Labor Relations, to Benefits, Office of Human Resource Services, for processing to insure continuation of benefits.
- When a Family and Medical Leave is approved, it must be recorded on the employee's official timekeeping records as "Code 06 - Family and Medical Leave -Unpaid". The employee should remain on the payroll but the salary should be deleted from the payroll journals during each pay period for which the Family and Medical Leave is approved. If the employee reaches the maximum allowable period of leave (12 weeks) and does not return to duty, the employee may resign or request a leave of absence without pay under the USM Policy VII - 7.12.
- Questions regarding Family and Medical Leave should be directed to Employee/Labor Relations, Human Resource Services.