- Academic Affairs
- Administration and Finance
- Center for Health and Homeland Security
- Center for Information Technology Services
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Community Engagement
- Government Affairs
- Human Resource Services
- Office of Philanthropy
- Operations and Planning
- Police and Public Safety
- President's Office
- Research and Development
- University Counsel
Office of International Services (OIS)
Sponsor an H-1B Exchange Visitor
File petition to employ a non-U.S. citizen in a specialty occupation.
Departments seeking to hire a specialty occupation and sponsor a employee under an H-1B visa. A specialty occupation is one that requires the theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge in a field of study. The position must require at least a Bachelor’s degree.
For additional information contact the Office of International Services (OIS).
- Determine employment status:
- For individuals not currently employed by UMB, conduct recruitment as required by university policy and issue an offer letter to the prospective employee.
- For individuals already employed and/or appointed in your department, proceed to 3.
- For new scholar fellow or faculty hires, follow appropriate procedures in your department or school to request an academic appointment.
- Determine whether the position is an academic appointment or staff position:
- For academic appointment positions, complete the H-1B request packet for academic appointments
- For staff positions, complete the H-1B request packet for staff positions.
- Have the prospective employee complete the prospective employee packet.
- Prospective employee should deliver completed packet to the employing department.
- Once steps 1-4 are complete, employing department should deliver both the department and prospective employee packets together to the OIS as one package.
- OIS is located at the SMC Campus Center, 621 W. Lombard Street, Suite 302. Please submit a hard copy.
- Once OIS receives the request, the office will:
- Request a Prevailing Wage Determination (PWD) from the Department of Labor.
- Upon receipt of a PWD, the OIS will draft a Labor Condition Application (LCA) for posting.
- The OIS will email the employing department contact with the LCA and instructions to reply via email with the positing start date, end date, and two locations of the postings.
- Upon receipt of a certified LCA from the Department of Labor, the OIS will prepare and file an H-1B petition with U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (UCSIS).
- OIS will send a copy of the UCSIS receipt notice indicating whether employment is authorized.
- OIS will notify the employee and the department when an approval is received.