USM / UMB Policies and Procedures
This list is intended as a general index linking the large body of policies governing the University community.
University and USM:
Online Policies and Procedures System
This system will allow you to display and print any of the USM policies contained in the "Bylaws, Policies and Procedures of the Board of Regents of the University System of Maryland," each of which have been appended by a section with the heading "UMB Policy Guidelines/Procedures." Most of the information you will need about policies and procedures will be available at this Web site.
Includes University policy and procedures on:
- System-wide Councils and Institutional Boards
- Academic Affairs
- Student Affairs
- General Administration
- Fiscal and Business Affairs
- External Relations
- Information & Technology
- Health & Safety
- Miscellaneous Policies
For help and clarification regarding these policies and procedures, please see Human Resource Services.
University IT policies related to Computer Usage, IT Security, Campus Network, Standards and Accounts.
(EHS) Environmental Health and Safety Policies
University policies related to environmental health and safety.
- Bloodborne Pathogens
- Confined Space Entry Policy
- Emergency Egress Safety Policy
- Fire Safety Policy
- Hazardous Chemicals in Laboratories
- Hazard Communication Program
- The Control of Hazardous Energy (Lockout/Tagout)
- Hazardous Materials Shipments/Transportation DRAFT
- Laser Safety Policy DRAFT (comments are welcome)
- Lead Exposure in Construction Policy
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Policy Use of Respirators
- Risk Management Policy
- Smoking Policy (Revised)
For help and clarification regarding these policies and procedures, please see Environmental Health and Safety.
Also see the research site for policies, procedures, and related forms.
Academic and other student-related policies, including:
- Eligibility to Register
- Confidentiality and Disclosure of Student Records
- Review of Alleged Arbitrary and Capricious Grading
- Rights and Responsibilities for Academic Integrity
- Scheduling of Academic Assignments on Dates of Religious Observance
- Library Materials
Policies Related to Drugs, Alcohol, and Smoking
- Campus Substance Abuse
- Illicit Drugs
- Alcoholic Beverages
Other University Policies
- Procedures Relating to Sexual Assault
- Policy Against Sexual Harassment of Students
- Service to Those with Infectious Diseases
- Student Sexual Orientation Nondiscrimination
- Position on Acts of Violence and Extremism that are Racially, Ethnically, Religiously, or Politically Motivated
- Student Right-to-Know and Campus Security Act
For these policies, please see Rules and Regulations.
See the inclement weather policy on the Campus Alerts page.
Call 410-706-UMAB (8622) for the latest, most reliable, information on campus closings.
- Information Technology Acceptable Use Policy
- School of Medicine Web Publication
- UMnet Usage
- University Web Standards
Workers Compensation Policies:
See the EHS site for policies, procedures, and related forms.