ICTR Biostatistics Core Services
The ICTR has partnered with biostatistics experts across campus to form the ICTR Biostatistics Core to offer all UMB campus faculty access to FREE research-related biostatistical services. The goal of the service is to assist researchers who do not have funding for biostatistical support and to promote the appropriate use of biostatistics in the design, implementation, and interpretation of clinical and translational research studies.
The ICTR Biostatistics Core can provide support with:
- Study Design and Power Analysis. Feasibility study and sample size based on the state of the art methodology, such as multistage and adaptive designs. In addition, we design and perform randomization, sensitivity and simulation studies to evaluate study design properties, and sample sizes needed to achieve study objectives, endpoints, and control selection.
- Obtaining Data from Outside Sources. We have experts on campus that can assist you with obtaining data from outside sources, such as CMS, DHMH, and UMBC, as well as assistance with securing Memorandums of Understanding or Data Use Agreements.
- Statistical Analysis. The data analysis plan is provided in the protocol (before data collection takes place) and followed. Assumptions underlying the methods are assessed and the most appropriate statistical method is used for analysis. Beyond major statistical software packages such as SAS, Splus, Stata, StatXact and East, more complex statistical and bioinformatics tool are developed for specific research project (in R or Matlab or SAS).
- Interim Analyses and Data and Safety Monitoring for Clinical Trials. Analyses and adaptive designs (including Bayesian designs) consistent with statistical principles for multiple testing and interim analyses.
- Statistical bioinformatics. Another main focus is in statistical bioinformatics and the analysis of "Big Data" including systems biology, gene regulatory network inference, module biomarker discovery, network biology, data integration, systems pharmacology, personalized medicine, disease-drug-gene association discovery, pattern recognition, image analysis, and data mining.
- Reports and Publications. Data analysis is typically summarized in a statistical report in a form appropriate for manuscripts.
ICTR Biostatistics Core Service Request
If you are interested in ICTR Biostatistics Core service support, use your UMID to log in to our ICTR Core Service Request web page and complete the ICTR Core Services Request Form (developed in REDCap).
ICTR Biostatistics Core Partners
The School of Medicine Biostatistics and Bioinformatics Division provides UMB investigators and trainees biostatistical collaboration and consultation service and access to state-of-the-art statistical science, expert statistical analysis, and sound statistical reporting in biomedical research. Biostatisticians provide consultation and collaboration regarding the research design and statistical analysis plan, including the assessment of study feasibility, estimation of sample sizes to meet study objectives, and grant and manuscript preparation.
The PRC service center in the Department of Pharmaceutical Health Services Research at the University of Maryland School of Pharmacy has been providing a wide range of services to UMB campus investigators for more than 15 years. Services include analytics (discovery, interpretation, and communication of meaningful patterns in data), SAS programing, data management, statistics, and epidemiology to support health services researchers. The PRC can assist researchers with project preparation by obtaining data from outside sources (e.g., CMS, DHMH, and UMBC), secure Memorandums of Understanding or Data Use Agreements, and assist investigators in securing IRB approval.
The School of Nursing Office of Research and Scholarship provides biostatistical services to support UMSON faculty and students for proposal applications and data analysis post-awards.
Need statistical software?
The Center for Information Technology Services (CITS) Office of Software Licensing provides enterprise pricing for software used at the desktop level. Examples of software available to researchers at volume discounts are Mathematica and ARCGis. For statistical analysis, SAS, SPSS and STATA are offered. In addition, antivirus software from Symantec, office productivity software from Microsoft, and presentation software from Adobe are available at reduced rates.